Yellow Register Way Out of Position After Plate Change

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by impressed, Mar 1, 2012.

1. impressed

impressed Member

I just got done loading a new yellow plate. I forgot to wrap it around the cylinder tho, and 'burnt' a new job (the roll was locked in the cylinder with the gap guard on). I 'burnt' all 4 plates for a new job. Of course, after noticing my error (after the burn was complete) when I had no yellow, I wrapped the plate around the cylinder, etc and reburnt the plate. It is now over 1/4" out of position towards the lead edge, 2 burns, same position.

I did notice a 1" or so roll pin inside the plate cylinder after my false burn attempt. I'm not sure if it fell in from above, or if it comes from somewhere in the cylinder. Did I wreak something by burning the job without a plate loaded properly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

It is possible the roll pin came out of one of the geared ends of either the take up spool or the supply spool. This would cause the plate to move some during the plate burning process. Did you notice if the plate was loose on the cylinder?

3. impressed

impressed Member

That is indeed what happened Paul. It fell out of the gear on the take up spool. After we put the roll pin back in I was back in business. It probably fell out during my artificial yellow burn since their was no material around the spool.

4. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

I would get a new roll pin for it. If I remember correctly it is a double roll pin. You definitely do not want that coming out while the press is running and get stuck inbetween the blanket and plate cylinder or blanket and impression cylinder.

Glad you found what it was, I was reaching on that one... That was the only place I could remember where a roll pin was used. Maybe my Alzheimer's is not setting in as fast as I thought.