XL 105 ink keys again

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by petar, Feb 25, 2012.

1. petar

petar Member

I have a big problem with 25 keys on one of my units. Keys 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 work perfect the others not, the problem is that they don't open enough. I removed the motors to check zero point and it's ok. I tried to move the whole keys backward to level them with the ok keys and its a little bit better but then the problem is that they don't close when i put them to zero and a lot of ink remains on the fountain roller.
    0000.jpg
    As you can see the keys are not level. In this position when i set the keys to zero from CP2000 they close the ink, but if i open them they do not open even.

2. spike

spike Senior Member

call atech ihave seen others try to remedy this and they screwed it up beyond repair or waranty

3. LLS northwest uk

LLS northwest uk Senior Member

Is anything coming up on the cpc key fault etc? normally we zero them all to ink shut off then level the motors normally they are alright after that

4. petar

petar Member

No fault messages on the cpc. Zero point of the motors is OK. The problem is in the position of the key. See the mark on the picture.

5. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Did you check to see if you can manually move the faulty ink keys their full range when the motors were demounted? You should be able to move the keys with a small screwdriver feely to their open and closed mechanical stops. You can also try moving the faulty motors into a different position and see if the problem moves to a different key.

6. petar

petar Member

I don't think the problem is in the motors, but i will try it just to be sure. I think the problem is in the position of the whole key. Maybe the keys were replaced or someone was tried to fix them before because the problem keys are marked with white X. And another thing, you know when you close all the ink zones there are lines of ink between the keys, but between the problem keys there aren't. On the other units the ink keys are level only on my 3rd unit they aren't (zoom the picture where its marked).

7. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Resetting the ink keys is pretty easy, maybe give it a shot. Remove all the motors and just let them hang from their wires. Go to the consol and make sure all are at their closed, ink shut off position. Then go back to the unit and remove the white thumb screw spindle that the motor output shaft is connected to when the motor is installed. This will reveal the back of the ink key shaft itself and allow you to use a small screwdriver to turn every shaft in the clockwise direction until it stops. Once you have gotten each ink key to the closed position with a screwdriver, turn each key back exactly 3/4 of a turn counter clockwise. Then reinstall the white plastic spindle and install the motor. This should get you very close to the zero position.

8. petar

petar Member

Thanks for the advice Exheidmech, I will try it. And one more question, should I level the keys (from the little screws on the back of the keys) before I start to zeroing by your method.

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

You shouldnt need to unless someone already messed with them

10. petar

petar Member

I checked all the keys and everything seems fine. The keys are turned exactly 3/4 from the end. Do you have any other suggestions. Appreciate your help.

11. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Have you checked the distance between the ink flow adjuster and the fountain roller?

12. petar

petar Member

They are not level. I explain in some of the previous posts what happens when i level them -the keys are NOT closed even if I turn them to the end point (not 3/4 from the end) and there is still ink on the fountain roller.

13. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Only other thing I can add is maybe have the angle of the fountain adjusted. A tool is needed for this and probably best to call in a tech.

14. jgenest66

jgenest66 New Member

I would check part number on the motor to one without a problem we had a new one brought in it had different part number. the tech said it would have different values for ink key position