Xerox WorkCentre 7535 for small print shop??? Opinions please

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by darrynrb, Sep 21, 2011.

1. darrynrb

darrynrb New Member

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

I currently have a large format printer/cutter and laminator but find I am always being asked for business cards/flyers etc and feel that I am losing out on making a bit of extra cash each month.

I currently hav a KM C250 for running the odd few colour copies for people but now need to upgrade to a better machine.

Unfortunately I do not have a big budget and because I am a fairly new company a lease is out of question as the suppliers want 3 years of credit history.

I need to be able to run:
    300gsm business cards (maybe 5 or so packs of 500 per week, 100 A3 pages)
    +- 130gsm SRA3 sheets of gloss paper for flyers (up to about 5000 a month)

After looking around Xerox seemed quite a good option so I went to see the rep. He suggested for my budget a WorkCentre 7535 to start with. A 242/500 is out of my price range at the moment. Speed is not really an issue as it is not my main form of income but would be great to have it running in the background to bring in a bit extra.

My question is, would this machine be wise to buy as a starting point? The last thing I want to do is purchase a new machine only to find it is not much better then my old KM. Like I said speed is not an issue and for now I am not going to be putting 50 000 copies through a month.

The sales guy has suggested that it will run the 300gsm and gloss with no problem and that I can even do the odd photo book. Any opinions on this?

Thanks again for any feedback.

2. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Isn't that the business machine that looks like the 242 but with an office RIP. If so the 242 will do 300 gsm, the gloss paper settings on the 240 prevent duplexing but a work around is to use Heavy 1 settings then it duplexs. Best is to take some samples to be printed and see how it works, as the RIP is not so powerful try using PCL in additon to Postscript. If you can have them do a trial at your shop if it meets your initial sample criteria.

Which Large format Printer/cutter - laminator sytem are you using or would recommend - I would like to only buy 1 large format system yet be able to print exterior which seems to be eco solvent inks, probably cold laminator and yet do decent interior photos - is it possible? As this is off topic, you may email me at kgraham.printer@gmail.com

Ken

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

hey guys. from what I see from Xerox website - this machine is just an office copier. I own both - equipment sales/service company and printing shop. Any Xerox below DC240 have "S" like paper path, it's ok for paper wights but cardstock will come out so bent - good luck cutting it. The matter of fact in our copycenter I always have Workcentre 7345/7345 machine for paper weights and OKI ES-3640 for Cardstock. That being said - If you plan to run cardstock, machine with straight paper path is a must. Look in to OKI ES-3640, C9800, Xerox Phaser 7400.. they should be much better choice, at least you won't have a nightmare in bindery.

4. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

I see Unlimited BT is right, the 7755/7765/7775 is the office equivalent that looks like the 240 but of course are more and apparently don't have a powerful RIP or the fine screening.

The other other possibility is to simply ask for a refurbished machine or Demo model. In the U.S. for a very short time Xerox actually provided used 242's at no charge just for clicks and maybe delivery/pickup but only to non Xerox customers - I think they pulled the deal when Xerox customers started to ask for the deal and got rightfully upset when they couldn't have it.

Ken

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi Ken. Please pay a little more attention - original question was about 7535 so was my opinion expressed. I have some respect for 7755/7765/7775 as they most likely have DC240 like engine. Their RIP is most likely trimmed up but engine should be robust for it's class.

6. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Again I agree with you Unlimited BT - perhaps the way I phrased the 2nd reply was poor - I attempted to provide additonal options that were suitable as you are correct the 7535 is not likely to be suitable and with all Xerox numbers out their I first mistook the 7535 for the higher number.
    Ken

7. darrynrb

darrynrb New Member

testing

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I went with the rep to a customer who is currently running one (7535) in his print business.

The owner seemed very happy with it and told me not to expect to run it all day everyday. He seemed to average 10 000 colour copies a month and was even running 350gsm through the bypass tray with no problem.

He was using it for business cards and A4/A5 leaflets on a gloss paper and it seemed to be coping quite well. The paper did not curl too much (a lot less then my bizhub)

I understand that it won't have the rip power/speed and quality of the 242 or newer 550 but for the odd pack of cards and flyers it seems ok.

K_Graham, Im running a Mimaki jv33-130, cg 130 srii cutter and Royal Soverign laminator. I am very happy with the Mimaki product, never had a single problem with it. I print a lot of short run labels so for me the seperate cutter was great as I can be running the next job while still cutting the previous one.

Im running with full solvent inks at the moment but have used eco solvent in my previous roland printer.

Look into the Epson GS6000, seems to be a good choice for outdoor and indoor photography - 8 ink system I believe. My mimaki is only 4 but there is the choice to run 7 colour. It does slow the machine down quite a bit though.

The laminator I hardly use but it is a huge help when it comes to applying graphics to correx/chromadek sheets. An A1 vinyl print can be applied bubble free in about 30 seconds. It has saved me a lot of time but the only reason I bought it was because the guy I bought it from said I could pay it off over 12 months interest free as I bought his old Roland from him.