Xerox Phaser 7800 dx - good printer for 300 gsm auto duplexing? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Mnesnay, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Mnesnay

Mnesnay New Member

Hi. I'm starting a business and am trying to decide what type of printer I should purchase. Currently, I don't have the budget for the high end digital presses like the Xerox c75 or hp indigo 3550.

I was considering the Xerox Phaser 7800dx with the added heavy media kit, but I don't think it will handle 110-lb. (300 GSM) card stock if I want automatic duplexing with this paper weight? Has anyone had success with this?

My site will allow users to design cards off of my templates and I will mail them the finished printed product.

What types of printers are good for printing rack cards or postcards up to 110-lb. (300 GSM) card stock that has a glossy finish? This is the type of paper I will be printing most with and it has to handle duplex automatically. I don't want to have to do this manually.

The features I am looking for are as follows:
    1. Color printer
    2. Duplex
    3. Media type accepted: 300 gsm glossy card stock, tabloid size if possible
    4. 1,000 - 8,000 prints per month
    5. Graphic intense projects (photos will be printed, like headshot on a baseball card) so high resolution, dpi capabilities
    6. Wireless capability, if possible
    7. Web to print capability, if possible

Any advice or suggestions on printers is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Sorenix

Sorenix New Member

Hi @Mnesnay , did you find any good option?

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

There is no printer that can do duplex of 300gsm media that aligns with Phaser 7800 in size and price. Because Phaser 7800 has an "S" like paper path, good luck cutting the stack of cards - they will never lay flat. Also, seems no matter what you do, duplex printed image will be 2-3mm croked on longer side, in other words, if you print 2 straight lines in the middle on both sides and look at the light, they will form an "X". As far as duplexing, I don't think even Konica Minolta Bizhub Press line can do 300gsm duplex :(

4. Sorenix

Sorenix New Member

Hej OkiTech,
    Do you know any printer that does a good matching duplex print (without making X lines) with a lesser gsm number than 300gsm?
    And what is that lesser gsm number between 205gsm and 290gsm that you think is easy to handle by printers and still do decent duplex?

Thanks

5. tecinsideout

tecinsideout New Member

You can do manual duplex, you just have to feed the paper sheet by the same entry