Xerox phaser 7760 grey background (one colour - cyan toner)

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by MattOz, Mar 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MattOz

MattOz Member

We have a Xerox Phaser 7760 that is producing a grey background in non-print areas. When viewed through a loupe it appears to be cyan toner scatter and is visible across the whole sheet (from edge to edge). The cyan toner cartridge is at 60%.

We have tried swapping the imaging units around to see if it is the cyan imaging unit, but it isn't. The printer also has a new fuser, waste cartridge, transfer roller and accumulator belt cleaning blade. Also tried printing individual sheets containing magenta, yellow and black and the cyan scatter still exists.

Just wondering if it would be the actual cyan toner cartridge, the developer (roughly at 60% life) or a more serious issue like the accumulator belt or high voltage unit?

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi, are you using an OEM toner? Bad toner could give you this problem regardless of developer unit life remains. Normally the only thing affecting your cyan could be developer if it isn't drum. Unfortunately the only way to check is to change developer. Developer itself isn't badly expecive $150 or so but changing it - takes few hours to dig the unit out an put it back in, where are you located?

3. MattOz

MattOz Member

Yes, OEM toner. The printer has only done 47,000 prints, which is why I thought it might be a defective toner cartridge vs the developer? Xerox said it could be the high voltage power supply as the background is edge to edge. Located in Australia.

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Australia, hmmmm - to far for a service call :)
    Well here how it work, most likely you already know that...
    You have 4 toners dropping toner in 4 DV units, that 4 drums creating an image on 1 ITB belt that being transfered on to media by 1 transfer roller and fused by 1 fuser. So if you have the problem related to only cyan, it is definitely toner, DV unit / developer, HV transformer related to the cyan process control. I have 7750 parts machine and workcentre 2636 part machine but not 100% sure they are the same as 7760. You can exclude HV transformer by swapping it with the same unit from any other color - but mark them up, they might have unique factory adjustment, that is if you are willing to get your hands dirty, but there is a chance that HV unit is mono-block i.e. one board for a CMYK, If you have a bad toner - your developer is bad as well but just a powder, if your DV Unit is bad than you'll need a developer as material and DV Unit itself. Check-out PartsDrop.com they specialize on supporting Xerox and have all the parts.
    I haven't seen a DV Unit going bad to have similar symptoms so far, even on machines with 500,000 clics, lines, streaks but no toning.
    I have seen similar problem created by adding wrong / bad aftermarket toner in to Xerox. If you are sure it is toner, you should contact Xerox describe the situation, be persistant, try to talk to someone up the chain, mention that you participate in numerous printing industry forums like PrintPlanet,com, this forum, PrintCities.com and not taking full responsibility for it's defective products may affect their shaky reputation :)
    Best regards,
    Roman.

5. MattOz

MattOz Member

Thanks Roman for your help. If it is just a faulty toner cartridge and I replace it, do I really still need to change the developer powder?

6. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Most likely :(, You can create a solid block out of cyan and print couple hundred pages of it - it will help somewhat but toner mixing with developer really well so that may not solve the problem completely. When I did so, added aftermaket/bad toner, I was not able to recover that way - had to change developer - lucky I am a tech :) who owns a printing shop.

7. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Most likely not, I ment.