Xerox 7400 or 7760 for small production printing?

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by grafico, Feb 9, 2009.

1. grafico

grafico Member

Hello to all,

I am looking to lease or lease to buy a 7400 or 7760

I was mostly interested in the 7760 but came across a xerox employee and he

mentioned to me that for production he recommends the 7400.

He also stated that the 7760 is mostly for proofing because color will not be

consistent throughout jobs specially when it comes to card stocks

any body have any feed back . .

thx

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

What print volume are you looking at per month?

3. grafico

grafico Member

20,000 - 35,000

4. grafico

grafico Member

I usually outsource jobs to local print shops or out of state
    but there are certain situations where If somebody needs something on the fly
    that is not uv coated I would like to have the ability to get the job done.

have you used any of these machines . .

thx for responding

5. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

No experience with either the 7400 or the 7760. We almost got the then-current equivalent of a 7400 back in 2003 but went with a contract machine instead at that point. With a volume of 20,000 to 35,000 a month I would think you would come out ahead getting a click-charge docucolor with supplies and maintenance included for the fixed click charge. More commitment on your part in terms of signing a 3 to 5 year lease, but also less worry about consumable price fluctuations, parts availability, ongoing print quality, etc. with the support contract you get for about the same price to noticeably less than having to buy the consumables all yourself at retail, and you get a more robust printer in exchange for the commitment.

6. bestfriendsstudios

bestfriendsstudios Member

I just came across your post about the 7760...I would not recommend it, especially if you are printing on cardstock. I've had mine for a year and it's been the worst business investment I've ever made. Here is a sampling of issues I've experienced: 1) the fuser went bad after just 5,000 prints; 2) major paper curl on both cardstock and text weight papers; 3) alignment issues when printing enhanced or photo quality; 4) severe label creep. Xerox advertisers this printer as the best option for graphic designers. As someone who's been in the business for more than 20 years, I strongly disagree. I have a friend in the prepress industry who has a 7400--she loves it.

7. markm

markm Member

Be careful printing this kind of volume on a Phaser. We do our color work on a 7750. As we've started to do lots of full bleed color our toner costs have shot through the roof. We're spending much more on toner monthly than we've been quoted for the lease and click charges on a docucolor 242

8. ipanter

ipanter Member

I have used the Oki C9650 (Oki version of the Phaser 7400) and a phaser 7760 and i think the C9650/7400 is the better machine.

The 7760 only feeds SRA3 from the bypass tray, which is a real pain, and it will not duplex SRA3, it also has problems printing close to the edge on a SRA3 sheet and won't go any close than about 12mm from the long edges. The print quality is slightly better on the 7760 as it uses lasers where as the C9650/7400 uses LEDs.

Both are toner hungry but the 7760 lasts a little longer than the C9650 but that is due to the capacity of the toner bottles. I would definately recomend having either on a click charge as the C9650 we had cost us a fortune in toner. I also had problems with the Oki drums failing way before they are due to, but it think that was because we were using compatible toners. False economy.

The C9650/7400 will take SRA3 from all trays.

I'd choose the 7400 over the 7760 anyday but then i do allmy printing on SRA3

HTH

9. phasermajster

phasermajster New Member

In your case I would buy dc242. If you'll do more than 25000 prints/month you'll maybe get a better price per click. And be able to do more stuff with dc242 than with the printer. It costs much more at start, but at the end it will be worthy.

Regards

10. LaserPrinterCenter

LaserPrinterCenter New Member

Hey,

That is a lot of volume for a 7400... Technically, you'd be better with a 7328 than you would a 7400 at that volume in terms of costs... We sell both the 7400 and the 7760 and I have a little better luck with the 7760 in terms of color accuracy... The 7400 is going to be discontinued here in about 3 weeks, so you might want to avoid it unless you do a cost per print plan which includes maintenance... (this can be done on a new unit for about $.08 or $.085 (tabloid included) if you find a good reseller.

The 7760 is a great "proof" printer because it's color accuracy is so good, as far as production... I think I would rather have a 7400 at your volumes... If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We don't really deal with Arizona, but I thought this might help out. You can do a quick side by side comparison at www.laserprintercenter.com

11. ideffects

ideffects New Member

I'm new here but I've had a 7400 for a while now and in my opinion, they are a piece of junk! The imaging units go out WAY TOO QUICK and cause a ghosting effect and it takes a full rotation of the drum in the imaging unit to put out a consistent level of toner. If you do a lot of full (saturated) color, the imaging units can go out in as little as 500 impressions. I've used OEM and not OEM toner but nothing has helped. The OEM toner is pretty expensive as well.

The best thing about this machine is that it can take 100lb CS without a problem - as long as you tell the printer, the paper is glossy stock otherwise the toner does not fuse. I honestly don't know how you could put 25k+ GOOD prints per month on a 7400 or 7760...

I've operated and worked on quite a few machines and this is the only one I can't find any love for.
    Good luck!