Xerox 550 Registration problems with Manual Duplex on 12"x18" 220 gsm stock

Discussion in 'Xerox Digital Presses' started by digitalgrafics, Apr 16, 2013.

1. digitalgrafics

digitalgrafics Member

We have a Xerox Color 550 with integrated Fiery and are having problems with the registration of the reverse side when printing manual duplex on 220gsm stock (12x18). We have tried centering the iage on the stock through printer properties but no improvement. Does anyone have any tips for improving registration?

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

What draw/tray is the stock loading from? You may have to set a different value for the second side under alignment. It may also be skew or stretch from the first side going through the fuser. What is the 220 gsm stock being run?

3. digitalgrafics

digitalgrafics Member

We're printing 225gsm stock 12" x 18" from manual tray (5) because it is too thick for autoduplex from lower trays. We've set "tray alignment" to on in the driver but can't find anywhere to do a manual alignment. It automatically prints the image shifted to the right by 5mm. I am breaking my head trying to find how to get it truly centered

4. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Are you able to enter service mode admin on the 550 and find adjust image position?

5. digitalgrafics

digitalgrafics Member

I can log in as admin but I don't know the way to log in as "service mode admin" or the password

6. digitalgrafics

digitalgrafics Member

I've managed to get into the maintenance section of the Admin machine configuration menu and find that it allows adjustments of up to 2mm in the x or y direction. Unfortunately, the image displacement is 5mm. Any suggestions?

7. adriansto

adriansto Senior Member

Buy a service manual or call a tech !

8. bgxerox

bgxerox New Member

On the Finishing Tab, you have the Image Shift option, where you can shift front/back side of the image up/down, right/left...whit this option you can hit the duplex excellently...and also you can save it as a preset, and use it every time when you print manual duplex on that particular size/weight of paper... This option is in Job Properties of your Fiery Command Workstation (right click on the job). It will take you some time to hit it for the first time, but once you get the hand on it, there wont be any problems in the future...Best regards from Belgrade, Serbia!

9. ipanter

ipanter Member

I had this problem once, it turned out that all i needed to do was clean the paper dust from the paper path and the rollers on the left hand side of the machine where the paper enters the machine.

I hope this does help as it is a nice easy fix.

10. dino3m

dino3m Member

Hi
    The best way to duplex thick stock is on how you reload the stock for the second side. Most people just simply turn the page over. The best way is to flip the other way as in what was the leading edge now becomes the trail edge and visa versa. The only thing you need to do is when you print the second side tell the machine to rotate 180. what this does is reduces as skew variance in the sheet. ie. if the skew is 2mm over a SRA3 sheet it will be 2mm back the other way but by doing it your way doubles the skew. Does this make sense?
    Enjoy