xerox 242 low color density on the side of the print

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Vytautas Kvedaras, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Vytautas Kvedaras

Vytautas Kvedaras Member

Hello all,

would like your help and opinion - what cause lower density on the SRA print on the side which is near open doors of machine (front)? The prints looks lighter. It is very visible on the light color prints. I'm attaching scanned test print with full color and gradient color. Also pictures of the open machine while prints images on the belt.

I have already done:
    1. Swap drums between CMY, no change
    2. Changed new transfer belt, the same
    3. Looked for stuck debris on developer rollers, seems everything is fine, toner "hair" on the rollers looks good and even
    4. Heavyweight or plain paper, no difference

Also as image is already bad on the transfer belt, it wont help, but nonetheless also changed 2 BTR, Fuser.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. MWI Print

MWI Print Member

In the print I'm seeing magenta weak on the edges.

How many prints do you have on the developer?

Once I couldn't see anything wrong with the developer on the developer housing roller, but changing the powder made a big difference for me.

3. Vytautas Kvedaras

Vytautas Kvedaras Member

did you had the same issue with lighter side of the print? Machine has 800k clicks, I have bought it on 700k clicks and this problem was there, so I assume developers should be already changed (they should around 500k to be changed).

4. MWI Print

MWI Print Member

I wouldn't assume your developers were already changed -- we didn't change developer until we had a quality issue.

We had a sort of similar inability to maintain density, but not exactly the same as yours.

We changed the full black developer housing on ours, and changed the developer in the others. Somewhere north of 500k and under 1 million 11x17's.

5. MWI Print

MWI Print Member

Did you swap rollers within the transfer belt assembly too? Another time we first cleaned, swapped, and ultimately replaced the transfer rollers within the transfer belt assembly.

6. Vytautas Kvedaras

Vytautas Kvedaras Member

when changed transfer belt, cleaned all rollers.

I can see density issues only on magenta. I made a few test prints with 20% and 50% coverage and it looks only magenta color. As the swapping drums did not helped, I assume this is ROS windows or magenta developer unit. Cleaned ROS a few times from outside - didnt helped, not much toner derbis was there. So will try to clean inside ROS when pop out the machine bonnet... Maybe you know - will I need to make some kind of calibrations or change NWS readings after doing it? I wish there was a technician who could do this on my area, but no luck.. So doing it myself.

7. MWI Print

MWI Print Member

Unknown on the calibration. I tried to clean our ROS assemblies, and did not have luck solving our issue totally (thin lines). A tech replaced the ROS assembly with a new factory sealed one and I do not think any special calibration was done and it was OK. I thought a calibration would need to be done. When we cleaned our ROS assembly I did not have any calibration issue from cleaning it either. It was a major thing to disassemble the machine to get to it and not damage any ribbon cables or drop any screws so set aside a few hours at least. I didn't have a dust-free clean room and ended up still with some dust inside the assembly. Hopefully you will have better luck. It was my first time so maybe if I had tried again I would have gotten it totally clean.

8. MWI Print

MWI Print Member

You'd have to double check but 2 other ideas:

I think you can change the roller between colors under the transfer belt to further rule out a roller issue.

And I think we swapped the cyan and magenta developer units too to test. We used quality tape to cover the toner inlet on the developer so toner color didn't mix. This let it print with the toner in the developer unit one or two test prints. Tape has to be careful and quality so it doesn't get any piece in the developer unit. Toner may dump on top of the tape, so only run a couple test prints this way.

9. Vytautas Kvedaras

Vytautas Kvedaras Member

Ok, so I have cleaned the ROS from inside, both for CK and MY, all mirrors, windows etc. Only find dust on the outside windows a little bit, means didn't cleaned properly when tried to clean before without opening the bonnet. All these cleanings did not resolve lighter magenta on the corner.

It means will proceed to Magenta developer. And will try as you mention to swap developers and cover toner inlet for few prints to check the difference.

10. Vytautas Kvedaras

Vytautas Kvedaras Member

I have swapped developer M with C. Can confirm that faded corner left at the same spot with Cyan developer. So I think left to try swap rollers inside of the transfer belt unit. There are as i remember rollers from the both sides (a few on one and about 7 from other side), maybe you know which you have replaced?