Working with U.V Colors

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Safrgn, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Safrgn

Safrgn New Member

Hello
    I work on Heidelber CD 74 with U.V colors,can someone advise me,how harmful are UV lamps and UV colors,and security measures and equipment that i I have to have.
    thanks

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Don't directly look at the lamps when they are active, but the press uv shielding will help with that as well as any suntan you may get !!
    Were gloves when directly handling the ink and chemicals so as to avoid any potential skin irritation.

3. Data

Data Senior Member

The lamps including direct light shouldn't be visible and as previously mentioned shielding should be in place. You may get some glare into the delivery but if it bothers you could cover the perspex with rubylith film. Ive never known ink causing any skin problems but obviously thats with working as clean as possible and regularly removing the ink, this can be done by using IPA for quick clean while on press. Nitrile rubber gloves are the best to buy as they dont swell as much with the chemical. Now to avoid any potential skin irritation always wear gloves when using coatings, in my opinion this is were you get the most problems. On the printing side you need to alter your thinking. With conventional ink its thin film large duct sweep. Ive found that you reverse this to larger film and reduce the duct sweep. The less heat you put into Uv ink the better.

4. Safrgn

Safrgn New Member

Š¢hanks for the answer.
    I appreciate this.
    Where can i get more information for working with u.v ink,i have too much problems while printing,
    here in my country there's nobody to guide me.

5. Silver

Silver New Member

I work now for the last 3 years on an CD 102 6+UV and in my opinion the most printing problems is caused because of wrong roller settings. Printing with UV inks is more complex dan conventional inks. UV ink is very touchy and its a must that the Ink and waterbalance is spot on, so make sure your roller settings are bang on and check them regulary. For a stable color balance, a higher conductivity of the water seems to have a positieve effect as well.