Workflow?

Discussion in 'HP Indigo Digital Presses' started by Neess, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Neess

Neess Senior Member

Hi.

Our company has always used xerox or canon printers with a workflow with printing from acrobat.
    Now we have bought 2 older HP indigos. (5000 & 3050). It seems printing via hotfolder is the normal way to set up jobs on the press, however there is a acrobat driver avaible, but only allows a very few properties for the print job, copy count etc.
    What do you guys do? is there a more detailed acrobat print driver?

2. mc8305

mc8305 Member

Hej Steffen :)

What do you want to achieve?
    To my knowledge there are no better drivers for the machines.
    You can set up different hot folders to do anything you like.

Or maybe it's time to upgrade the rip. The original IP Tech RIP on the 3050 is crap.
    I can highly recommend Studiorip: www.studiorip.com

And a quick question for you, how do you find the indigoes comparing to your other toner based machines?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. Neess

Neess Senior Member

Hej.

I want to achieve a more effecient workflow where we load 350g etc and the jobs are predefined with copy range, duplex rotation and stock, there after be able to repeat the process with 170g etc, 130g and so on. As it is now we have to print a dummy out for each job and set it up manually.
    On our fiery RIP for our xerox CP800 and xerox Igen3 the prepress defines the jobs so we just print them and check them afterwards before delivering to our post press department. This is really efficient when we print 50-100 different jobs on one day

And comparing to the toner based machines i think there is way too much maintenance required.

4. mc8305

mc8305 Member

Indigoes work a little bit different and more press like, but most of the things you mention can be done through hotfolders. Yes the Indigoes require more maintenance by the operator, but on the bright side you don’t have to call a technician all the time.
    What about the quality of the output compared to your toner devices.

5. Neess

Neess Senior Member

We have a onsite tech, so waiting for service isnt an issue, atleast not in the day hours.
    The indigo prints 1.800 SRA3 simplex per hour vs. 3300 from our Igen3, on print speed im not impressed.
    Every job needs to be set up by the press operator, workflow wise im not impressed either.
    Printing duplex we have a print area around 43 of our 45cm sheet, which just gives alot of problems, limiting the book production we hoped on the indigos.
    Quality is good, indeed. However it comes a price, too much maintenance. Our CP800 can run 2.500 sheets pr hour different stocks without changing anything but empty toners.
    The indigo has it weakness in colors, a 4color grey isnt too good. But overall i like the way it handles gradients.

6. Neess

Neess Senior Member

Seems my boss agreed, off they go again.

7. mutti8000

mutti8000 Member

You are getting rid of the indigos again?