Windmill expert needed

Discussion in 'Letterpress' started by 4 color GTO, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 4 color GTO

4 color GTO Member

I, like most, have been self taught on a H'berg windmill. Long story short- the top of the press or platen has more impression than the bottom. Everyone I have talked to has fought the same problem. I just add some packing along the bottom to even it out. I still cannot imagine a press being built this way. I cannot see any adjustment or anything in the manual. Any comments welcome.

2. marker

marker Member

yes this is true. you will have to make ready like a pro. you should use die cutting dies of .918 instead of .937 . this will give you more distance at the bottom and let the platen sit-up straighter at impression. i always make ready behind dies with steel shim tape instead of old offset plates for longer runs as it takes longer to cut through. numbering i make ready on the platen of course and that`s just the way it is. kluge is great about platen bed squareness but is slower and longer to makeready. (we have both presses)

3. dwightm

dwightm New Member

Heidelberg Windmill packings

I have an old Heidelberg bulletin pretaining to the the windmill and packings which state that:
    packing maximum thickness (.040)
    too much packing -impression heavy at bottom
    too little packing -impression heavy at top
    on very heavy forms-impression backed off and sheet added to packing

4. rossio

rossio Senior Member

Yes, and for longer stand use film in packing. Adjustment of an OHT ( Windmill) is difficult I know.
    you have to work at the packing and platen with wrapping paper, tape film etc.
    In 60´s adjustment at letterpresses was a important point in assesments for printer in Germany.

5. 4 color GTO

4 color GTO Member

Thanks, forgot I posted this, LOL. I did eventually talk to a diecutting guy here in town and he explained the packing to me, makes sence once you start to think about it.