Who invented perfecting?

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by Jim-N, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jim-N

Jim-N New Member

Sorry to be a dunce with this question, but what is the origin of (the term) perfecting? Is the term the invention of a particular sheetfed press originally, or did it come from newspaper presses?

Come to think of it, where does the term duplexing come from on digital while I'm at it, and why duplexing vs. perfecting?

2. archetype

archetype Member

Good question. Who did invent perfecting? I don't know because the use of the term varies. Some webs have a turning bar to turn the web 180 so you can print on the other side. Some of them run blanket to blanket, but I don't think of this as perfecting. Some Komori's are bottom side printers in that they have "stacked" units. I heard a guy one time talk about a Komori with a double sided pincher drum, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Print four colors on top then four on bottom in one pass without changing the gripper of the sheet. Heidelbergs use a storage drum and pincher bar to flip the sheet over inside the press. Old Miller presses had a cyl. with a gripper bar on each end, one used for straight print and the other for perfecting. I think duplexing in the copiers means that both sides are imaged simultaneously. There is a lot of fluctuation in terminology from shop to shop so sometimes it is hard to know exactly what somebody is talking about. Anybody else have any thoughts on the subject?

3. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Archetype.........

Thought you where actually going to answer the question then !!

4. archetype

archetype Member

In 1843, Richard invented the rotary printing press, a design much faster than the old flat-bed printing press. The design was patented in 1847 (US patent 5199), and first commercially installed in 1847. In its early days, it was also called the "Hoe web perfecting press," the "Hoe lightning press," and "Hoe's Cylindrical-Bed Press."

Hoe's 6-cylinder press, from Orr's History of the Processes of Manufacture 1864 1864Richard M. Hoe was a Freemason. He had considerable inventive genius and set himself to secure greater speed for printing presses. He discarded the old flat-bed model and placed the type on a revolving cylinder, a model later developed into the well-known Hoe rotary or lightning press, patented in 1847, and further improved under the name of the Hoe web perfecting press. In 1870 he developed a rotary press that printed both sides of a page in a single operation.

5. danakomori

danakomori Member

6. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

Some old timer pressman told me Miller Printing Press had the patten for perfecting for offset presses. I think the presses were named MillerTPxxx
    I think this was in the 60's.plus or minus a few years.
    When the patten ran out. Other companies started in on perfecting. Most notable Heidelberg in the late 70's/early 80's.