white ink substitute for imprinting on dark color

Discussion in 'Ink' started by hoerth, Jun 28, 2011.

1. hoerth

hoerth New Member

What can substitute for white ink against a dark background but imprinted later as an overprint? I want to create business card masters and then imprint variable contact information on the dark background when my client hires new employees. Will metallic silver be best choice or is their an opaque white that is really opaque and not washed out? Double bump of opaque white is possible I suppose. Are neons opaque? I believe the metallics are opaque so there shouldn't be a concern that the dark background color bleeds through.

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

i use van sons opaque white oil based ink and run it rich and it can print a nice white on a black linen. A double bump might look the best tho depending on what machine you're running it on

3. HPC

HPC Senior Member

Its been a lot of years but do ya think ya can talk em into Gold? We used a spot yellow, then overprinted in gold metalic to make it pop, worked great!! Maybe if ya use a 430 gray under that silver??? Just guessing.

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

just gotta make sure if you do the spot yellow or gray that you have tight registration. but yes that makes em pop really good i just did that last April for a prom booklet, black linen with 429 gray then 877 metallic silver on top I never seen such a happy customer!

5. HPC

HPC Senior Member

Ziggy is dead on, missed that little bit of info, as we are a web place. When running the masters, always run em from the same gripper and cut. When running for the first pass, run some then put em through again, making sure your register holds, if it bounces the masters won't be any good.