whats a good ink

Discussion in 'Ink' started by shermanator, Dec 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

I think Hitrun has it when he says film weight is important, probably the most important along with tack. Low film weight, high mileage inks print very sharp up to a point but are difficult to establish a good ink/water balance emulsion with and are easy to lose control of. Settings have to be right. High filmweight inks give high dot gain and demand a lot of fount to acheive a consistent emulsion, press speed changes really affect the inking.
    Inks like toyo have been developed in conjunction with the japanese press manufacturers so work well on them but maybe don't work so well on a European press with integrated damping.
    A good ink is one that suits the press design characteristics in terms of film weight and tack, thus ensuring good ink transfer and giving the pressman as wide a control window as possible over different speeds.

YG

2. Alwalker462

Alwalker462 New Member

Hello,

Anyone here uses or used in the passed ink by EPPLE? If so can you compare it to K+E?

Thanks in advance

3. printerscd

printerscd Senior Member

For sheet fed offset- HUBER GROUP INK !

4. Spanky

Spanky New Member

I have tried Gans, Flint, Van Son Great Western and Taniguchi. Taniguchi ran the best for me but it's becoming harder to get so I may try K+E.

5. Reel fed Ronnie

Reel fed Ronnie Member

Glenn Smith has developed some fine inks,hes teamed up with Parvis one of the experts in the field and his tins are flying off the shelf,fundamently hes a print scientist and has spent years developing and testing.He did leave the print trade for a spell to launch a range of edible dart flights but hes back now,and the print world will be a better place for it.

6. Uimeas

Uimeas Member

Thanks alot!

7. pjnestor

pjnestor Member

Zip Set is good, I think it's a Japanese company, Gibbon's is good too, LOVE Gibbon's I think that's located in the UK. Don't care for vegetable based inks AT ALL, they are not very heat or water resistant. Zip Set and Gibbon's seem to be compatible with both metal and silver master plates, also hold up on long runs, and their colors are awesome. Never cared for Gan's , their ink is really tacky and too thin bodied, made me always afraid to add tact reducer like it would drip off the roller's if I had to. Of course to be fair haven't used Gan's in years, if they changed their ways, someone please correct me on that point. I like Zip Set though, you can get it rubber based or oil based. For the best black ink though, Gibbon's beats them all, love that ink, it has a luster all it's own.

8. JasminS

JasminS New Member

We use inks based on mineralless oils. Papers printed with this are better for the environment and don't burden nature with chemical waste.

9. andyrobinsn

andyrobinsn Previous User

hi there,
    The Industrial printing machines from Kornit uses Neo pigment ink but is it good if we use any other available Ink??

10. johnlocke

johnlocke New Member

I think Xerox WorkCentre 3615/DN is best ever i know.

11. DanRemaley

DanRemaley Senior Member

Wikoff Ink, made in Fort Mill, SC - high pigment load, easy to get grey balance, dries well and I believe the ink used to print the Pantone books.
    Dan 412.889.7643 (former GATF)

12. Taymour

Taymour Member

is there any standard formula for estimating offset ink consumption?

13. leedylan

leedylan New Member

T & K Toka

We use T&K Toka. This is by far the best ink I have used on any press. We run the BESTSTACK series, which is pricey. However, this ink is flawless. We use very low water, there is minimal scumming. It also traps very well. They also have a BESTIMAGE series which is cheaper, but also a great ink. I have run both series and they compete with any brand out there.

14. MJB

MJB New Member

Hey guys need a favour, I need more info on K+E Novavit F700 spped plus. How is the performance of this ink. Has anyone used it before!! We are planning to shift to this ink since it has been recommended by fellow printers and is quite competitive in pricing.

15. kevinnalexx

kevinnalexx New Member

using sun chemical ink is best.

16. flexo

flexo New Member

Huber ink is the best.

17. dwokz

dwokz Member

We are running a Heidelberg SM-74 and seem to be getting complaints that our uncoated offset printing is weak. We just cant seem to keep the colors as bright as we think they should be. Even when we get color looking pretty good we seem to get a lot of dry back making the color look washed out and lacking POP. We have tried a few things and switched to a harder ink and a different black and it definitely helped but we are still just not there. Everything is profile and we seem to be ok there. Ive been told running too much water could cause this dry back problem.

Can anyone help me with suggestions on an ink design just for uncoated printing which can hit bright colors and hold them? Or give me tips on things we may be doing wrong. Coated papers do not seem to be a problem at all its just the uncoated we just cant tune in. Any suggests would be greatly appreciated.

18. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

Water and ink mixtures will give you many types of problems, always remember to run as little water as possible first then adjust ink. water should be just above where you tone. Secondly, uncoated stock will absorb ink into it, unlike coated stock where ink will lay mostly on top. To a printer this is very frustrating especially when a sample to match come off a laser printer. Without printing a base coat down first, you should look for faster drying ink and/or even a heavier type of stock to use (if possible). Most print shops have best success printing K C M Y order. I have found by just adding a little dryer to the ink helps out also. Your ink brand to use , " I'll let others make that suggestion to you. Every printer has their own brand they like for different reasons. ( I tend to just bump my colors up a little and "eye" them in rather than use a densitometer 100% for uncoated stocks)

19. Printing4ever

Printing4ever New Member

We use Gans, we tried using Soy based but it always seemed like we had more strain and waste.

20. dwokz

dwokz Member

Thank you for your replys I called several ink companies and we did some testing and found Superior Inks were awesome and fixed our issues. Just wanted to share the outcome.