What must be the characterisitc of the Ink for IML using BOPP Film?

Discussion in 'Ink' started by Kaizen, May 31, 2012.

1. Kaizen

Kaizen New Member

This is to ask with regard on the characteristic of the Ink for IML. Please share to me the idea on what Ink are we going to use for IML (BOPP Film). Thank You so much.

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

What are you printing and on which machine? UV ink is the only real way of printing on film and non absorbent materials. Ink peel off or non adherance can be caused by many things. The printing characteristics of UV ink have a much smaller operating window than conventional inks so everything needs to be correct. On press the settings are important because you need a good ink/water balance, similarly the press chemistry needs to be well set up. Too much water in the ink will cause drying problems. The UV drying system needs to be in good order with clean reflectors and lamps that are in date and outputting the correct energy. The material you are printing on needs to have the correct dyne level for good adherence, if it doesn't then corona treatment is recommended. Your inks need photo initiators in that match the UV output of the lamps. Printing UV can be very difficult or reasonably easy, it's the attention to detail that makes the difference.

3. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Sorry but i disagree :)
    I have customers printing IML with conventional ink despite having Full UV on press.....

It is all about doing it RIGHT , and you can go conventional.
    One of the bad points with printing IML with UV is the deformation of the stock due to high temp and some mis register that needs to be pre-solved if you run with interdecks and not only end of press.
    Feel free to contact me for help

4. Kaizen

Kaizen New Member

Actually we currently developing an IML using Conventional and UV Ink in Offset (SM 74-6 UV). But the problem are follows:

Conventional Ink
    - Fast Dry that causes the ink to dry in the roller (machine efficiency)

UV Ink
    - Ink peel off
    - Scum arise after 200 sheets
    - Rub Off (Using Coin)

Is it possible to have a different Ink for UV using BOPP Film (IML)?

Please help me to solve that issue both for Conventional and UV Ink. Any recommendation/suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

5. Bernadette

Bernadette New Member

Ink Adhesion Quality of Offset Print IML labels

Kindly help us to know, if really the ink adhesion property of the offset print IML labels is excellent? 100% tape proof using 3M tape?

We're currently developing IML and we encountered such difficulty in attaining 100% good ink adhesion of our output. Hope you can provide us learnings for this application.