Water gathering behind plate

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Iwmcc, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Iwmcc

Iwmcc New Member

Hi, most of my printing experience has been with Heidelbergs, but for the last 6 years I have been running a Komori Lithrone 26 which has really impressed me. One problem I am having is that I am getting water behind the plate and also under the blanket. It is only happening on the 4th unit. I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

2. mcsongor

mcsongor Member

That is condensation ....reduce difference of temperature between press and ambient

3. Iwmcc

Iwmcc New Member

Many thanks for your reply. This problem is only happening on one unit and is developing too quickly to be condensation in my opinion. In addition to that, our press room is very cold and I don’t think that the difference between the ambient temperature and the temperature of the press would differ enough for condensation. Thanks again, any other ideas please let me know.

4. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Can you be more specific? I.E. how many total units are on the press, how much water is there on the cylinder(s), what part of the cylinder(s), etc., etc..

5. Iwmcc

Iwmcc New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It’s a 4 Color lithrone 26 with a coating unit. On unit 4, when I remove the plate (even after a fairly short run eg 2000 sheets) water is running down the back of the plate. After a few days it eventually finds it’s way under the blanket, the packing swells up and results in the tail end of the blanket being in constant contact with the plate. Obviously when it reaches this point I change the packing.
    I checked the damper and inker settings thinking that perhaps wrong settings would be pushing damp to the back edge of the plate during the run, but the settings are fine. I run ever job with minimum damp, so the plates are not being flooded. I might mention too that the press is running alcohol free.