UV coating through Alcolor Dampening

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by aqazi81, Apr 29, 2015.

1. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Did anyone tried UV coating applied through Alcolor dampening system? I want to experiment this, so any input will be much appreciated.

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Ive never done it and Id be afraid to. Im thinking that cleanup would be a pain in the butt, and the solvents used both in the coating, and in the cleanup wouldn't be too roller friendly. Im sure someone with some actual experience with it will chime in.

3. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Do you remember old Heidelberg operating manuals had a chapter regarding coating with printing unit, but it needed some changes with form roller and pan roller and also needed changes to the pan and a dedicated recirculator.

Rollers are not a problem here, majority of the presses are equipped with locally manufactured roller that cost around 20$. I am concerned about the correct type of coating pump that I should use. Do you have any idea about this?

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

sorry aqazi I don't remember. I think if I were to try coating on press through one of the printing units, Id be more inclined to do it through the inker as opposed to the dampening system. And even then id suggest pulling out the bridge roller at the very least so that the coating doesn't fling off as much onto the alcolor system. I had done aqueos coating through the inker on Speedmasters but was never really comfortable with it. Probably more so because of the hyper vigilance required to avoid the stuff drying on the rollers. Id imagine that seeing how the UV coating is energy cured that would be less of a concern.

5. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Yup, water based duct emulsion is always a pain to run, I will try both ways, from duct and with dampening unit and lets see what happens. I'll keep you updated. Still open for any ideas.