UV Coating Problems

Discussion in 'Gloss Coatings' started by nationwidebks, Jan 30, 2012.

1. nationwidebks

nationwidebks New Member

After UV coating, our toner is scratching off our 80 lb. Gloss cover stock. Using Xerox igen 4 for Digital printing.
    What can I do to help this problem.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Same issue

I have the same issue actually. With both Igen and ImagePress prints on Cover and Vinyl. It seems as though the coating softens the stock and the toner, instead of offering protection to the print.

I'm thinking the coating is not fully cured...

3. nationwidebks

nationwidebks New Member

I contacted Kelstar,the manufacturer of our UV coating. They are sending me different
    UV coating samples to try. More fexible type coatings. We are using Kelstar 9058 DG.
    Will be trying Kelstar 9070,9075,9053 & 9021A UV coatings.Will let you know how
    they work.

4. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Let me know how it goes. Igen prints make for tricky coating, I find the fuser oil reacts negatively with the UV coating . My Canon prints coat much smoother. Yet both have the scratching issue..

5. schwabber

schwabber New Member

Currently running a Sakurai screen coater and using 9403 coating from Kelstar. Any reason why it's looking grainy? I've seen it like that before when it wasn't mixed enough but it's fully mixed. Thoughts?

6. schwabber

schwabber New Member

Anyone? Don't be shy...

7. superiorprint

superiorprint New Member

Im sure you have tried this, but if we run our UV coater to fast, we will get scratching issues, If we run it to slow, we will get hot spot issues. I have found that I have to find the rite speed and UV lamp setting. Darker colors seem to be the worst.....

Which I do know we use a specific UV for our Konica Printers. I can look Monday and let you know of the brand if you'd like.

Run some extra sheets and play with speed and lamp settings....

8. OffsetMindset

OffsetMindset Member

I agree with superiorprint. The speed makes the differerence. UV Coaters are great machines, but very sensitive machines as well..

9. sheelaa

sheelaa Previous User

I worked with Autoprint Fine coat 65/80. It can perform full and spot (UV & Aqueous) coating on thin and thick papers at a speed of maximum 5000 sheets per hour. It is designed to meet the growing demand for a reliable and precision coater for large format printers and packaging units.

Look for an offline UV coater that is recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency as BACT (Best Available Control Technology).