Triumph 4850-95 seized

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by issuepress, Jan 4, 2013.

1. issuepress

issuepress Member

Hi All,
    I have an MBM Triumph 4850-95 that seized up mid cut and I am trying to figure out is going on. I recently changed the blade, and right before this happened I noticed a little grinding sounds and some metal dust in the right side of the cutter opening. It was a bright dust - so I am assuming the blade was grinding on something - but everything is tight.

Now it doesn't appear to turn on - no lights, no sounds, nothing. I checked the little fuse switches on the bottom and they don't appear to have changed at all - and pressing on them does nothing.

I know that I didn't blow a fuse outside of the machine - so it's something internal. Its not clear from the user manual where the fuses even are.

When it stopped working, the blade went to the normal upright position - but the paper clamp is stuck (on my project).

Anyone experience something like this with their triumph or any tips to get it cutting again?

Thanks in advance!

George

2. Looo

Looo New Member

You have a bad board

You have a bad board. It is located right above the turn-on key. Remove cover and look at the board. There should be a flashing green light at the center of it, if not, it is bad. I have received quotes as high as $700 for the part. Could not bring myself to spend the money. On the board, the biggest piece is a copper winding. The soldering on this came off on mine. If you can move it slightly, and the machine comes back to life, that is the problem. The seizing is preceded by the control display losing power when jogging paper on the cutter.

3. issuepress

issuepress Member

It turns out that it hadn't been very well cared for in its previous life, and I wasn't doing much to help it either. It looked as thought it hadn't been greased in a REALLY REALLY long time. I didn't have it long enough to think that I needed to worry about it right away. Boy was I wrong. The part that holds the blade was rubbing up against the frame and it was metal on metal to the point where it just seized. But, the good news is that I was able to get it going by loosening everything up and regreasing everything and everything is hunky dory again!

This i a REALLY old 4850, with no digital display. I REALLY wish i could automatically set the backgauge, but sometimes its nice when everything is purely mechanical.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice!

4. dgroves

dgroves New Member

What type of grease is appropriate?

I too have an old 4850 that hasn't been greased properly, and I have no hint as to what grease would be appropriate. I am victim of the pressure-bar seizure, also, so I'll check the board, but I suspect the lack of grease as a possible culprit. Any suggestions?

5. issuepress

issuepress Member

6. Magiclite

Magiclite New Member

Hope you still can read this. I just had the same problem on my 4810-95, the blade carrier was seized on its way back(half way). How did you loosening everything up? Is there any special tools or anything that I should be aware of.
    I appreciate it if you could give me any advise.

Thanks.

7. Jael Ramirez

Jael Ramirez New Member

I know that it has been a long time since the last publication I hope and you can help me. I have a 4850-95 EP which does not activate the blade or the paper press, the equipment makes the automatic limit adjustment but it does not work, I request your help please.

Attached Files:

8. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir;

1) Reset the C.breakers F1+F2.

2) Test the fuse ;F5+F4.

3) If there are o.k , when you activate the push button S1+S2 for clamp and knife, the Relais k5+k6 must be ON!!!!!!!

4) If Not, test the push button S1+S2 and fuse F5+f4.

5)If contactors K5+K6 ARE ON, see if the contactors for Knife and clamp; k1/1 +k1+k2+k3+k4 must be ON!!!!, if NOT test each continuity in the contacts of each contactors or Relais, and clean it very well. and see if there loose wires, broken, corroded, or IF the coil of contactors or Relais are Faulty, see if there are getting 120Vca to the coils respectively.

Jael Ramirez likes this.
  9. Jael Ramirez

Jael Ramirez New Member

Thank you very much for the help.

breakers F1, F2 are OK

fuses f5 and f6 are OK

pressing s1 and s2 does not activate any relay

on the board where the relays are, only k12 is activated, 29 v reaches the board.

What else could I consider?

thanks for your help

10. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

folow the continuity voltage for activate coil of Relias, is some faulty contact , will not activate any Coils of Relais!!!

Blessing

11. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

By the way, the coilis x 120Vac, no 29V
    Please,see x loose cables, connectors+ contacts corroded.
    Look if the outut 9f the Fuses are 120Vac!! AND Not 29.
    Blessing

12. Anteneh W Yosef

Anteneh W Yosef Member

Hello everyone, can you please tell me what caused this? This is a pcb board for 4850-95EP. They said i have to upgrade the entire kit ((D4850901)) because they don't make this board anymore. If someone have A4 5850442 V2.10, can you please tell me the IC name/ number/ model that is damaged on the picture.

Attached Files:

13. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:

Hope you are well.

This is caused by 1) Overheating by overvoltage +2) Powerful Surge and Trasient on the line.
    You need adjust the Input Voltage, use Voltage Regulator from Westhingouse or GE according with the Total of watss of his machine+Voltage+Amps. And included Surge Suppressor and Transient.

However you can replace the electronic components, with a good electronic supplier, with better design electronic components

14. Anteneh W Yosef

Anteneh W Yosef Member

Thank you.
    I will try to find voltage Regulator/Power Conditioner for the input. I really wanted to replace the electronic component but i couldn't find any schematic to find the information. All i know about the component is that it's a Step-Down converter by ON Semiconductor.

15. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

16. Anteneh W Yosef

Anteneh W Yosef Member

Hello,
    so far no progress. I found another problem which is the input dc voltage for the board should be 24V but i see 39V.

17. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:

the +24Vdc, must be there, however if you have 39 you have Higher the Input voltage 220-240VAC, try to adjust the input , or call to the company to supply of Energy.

2) The bridge rectifier+and IC regulator, and Capacitor must be faulty. Replace it.