transfer grippers

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by AMSL, Jun 20, 2010.

1. AMSL

AMSL New Member

would someone be able to advise me on how to set the transfer grippers on a sm52? thankyou.

2. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

When you say transer grippers I am guessing you mean the first transfer after the impression and the third transfer (transfer cylinder before impression). These cylinders are not so easy to set without proper tools. First of all access inside the gripper area on an SM52 is not so easy, but if you can get to the cylinders the easiest way is to use a 8x60 mm bolt threaded all the way to the head. This bolt will be used to compress the gripper bar until the grippers meet the pads. The process for setting grippers is as follows. 1) know the gripper opening and closing time. 2) Screw IN all gripper adjusting screws (3mm allen set screw) by 1/2 revolution except 1, usually 3rd from OS. 3) Use third gripper from OS to achieve proper gripper opening/closing times by adjusting 3mm allen. 4) Once you are happy with Opening/closing times of 3rd gripper, now use your 8mm threaded bolt to compress gripper bar until 3rd gripper is closed with a slight drag. I usually use the tissue paper that comes between new plates. 5) Inch press into a position that all adjusting screws are accessible. 6) adjust all grippers to the same "feel" as 3rd gripper. 7) double check grippers to make sure the all still feel the same, not uncommon to have to slightly readjust a few grippers. 8) Remove 8mm threaded bolt, and double check gripper times at transfer point. 9) my bet is you will say I will never ever try this on my own again.

Other cylinders such as impression, double drum, swing gripper, and perfector the process is a bit different, but the theory is the same. SM52 is not my fav press to adjust grippers on. Good Luck. :)

3. Vinh

Vinh Member

Do you have gripper timing of sm102-5-p4?