Transfer Belt For IRC3220

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by meroje, Jun 13, 2010.

1. meroje

meroje Member

Please help me where can i find the transfer belt. Our support advise us to replace the ITB however he is not available right now. Please help me.

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Are you asking where you can buy a new transfer belt? Or how to replace the transfer belt? Have you already tried cleaning the rollers inside the transfer belt?

3. meroje

meroje Member

Actually sir i am asking on how to replace the belt? At the same time the location of the ITB Assembly on our printer? i don't know where is it located. :D

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

In normal circumstances I wouldn't do anything to the machine without watching a tech do it first and/or having a service manual. But in an emergency if you're willing to assume the risk yourself, you access the ITB belt by:
    1. turn off machine & remove power from the machine to be safe
    2. open front cover and lower the large blue lever (the same lever as when you change drums)
    3. now go to the right side of the machine and hit the button to slide out the bypass tray on its slides (like when you are clearing a paper jam from that area)
    4. on the side of the bypass tray there's a clip with a single screw which keeps it from sliding all the way out. Remove that screw and the clip. Now slide the multipurpose tray assembly all the way off the slides to remove it from the machine
    5. You're now looking at the end of the belt. Above it is a plastic guard. It's in with a plastic tab on one side and a single screw. Remove the screw and remove the guard piece.
    6. Now you'll see a small escape lever there in the center of where that guard was. Raise it.
    7. Now the ITB assembly will slide out. It takes a bit of care as it goes up and out along some nubs. There are two tabs which stick up to pull it out by and then two indentation handles on the side to lift it clear with. Be careful not to damage the belt. Never touch the belt esp. on the print area.

5. meroje

meroje Member

Thansk sir jeff ill do what you advise.

6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

If you have a full ITB assembly, it's a piece of cake. If not, it's hard to describe the process to replace the belt itself; it's not difficult if you watch someone first. But it's hard to describe in text. (I've only done this twice now to clean the rollers under the belt and then replace the same belt as under our service contract if the belt itself needs replacement I've had our skilled tech do so I don't take on any risk of damaging parts which I'd have to cover.)
    On the operator side of the belt (referring to the position when it's in the machine even though now it's out) there are four screws to remove to remove the large metal belt cover. Put it on its side and pull off the belt cover. Then you remove the lower screw on the varistor (be careful not to break it as you move it out of the way) which also holds the smaller transfer guide plate metal cover. Then you flip it so the non-op side is up. There are four screws on the link plate (one of the two tabs that stick up that you pulled it out of the machine with.) Remove them and pull the link plate up. Our tech easily used the plate here to hold it up but I couldn't get it to be sturdy so I had a second person help me hold it and skipped that step. Then you rotate so the op side is up, remove those 4 screws, and pull that tab/lever up and rotate it 180 degrees which takes the tension off the belt. Then you can pull the belt up and off. I hope I haven't missed a step. Once you do it, it's easy, but you have to be careful since everything is plastic and you don't want to damage anything or you'll see it in all your prints. For us those rollers get the slightest bit of toner on them once a year or so it seems and then we lose registration between colors. Make sure you note which way the belt is on in terms of the marking square on the one side and make sure the centering is as perfect as you can get it.

7. meroje

meroje Member

Thanks again sir jeff. Hopefully i can fallow the instruction correctly. :)