timing marks on GTO 46

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Brothers p, May 17, 2019.

1. Brothers p

Brothers p New Member

I have an older GTO 46- that some work on it and taking the belt drive pulley off- it is out of time. Are there timing marks on the machine to put it back in time?

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

There are no markings to assist proper reassembly. It's been a l-o-o-o-ong time since I've worked on one of these, but I can tell you it's just a matter of getting the operating rod length and pressure plates to contact the clutch assembly in the proper position. Count your revolutions after assembly, and if it's not matching the dial, make the necessary changes.

3. Brothers p

Brothers p New Member

I understand, I am thinking of pulling the gear out again, rolling the press around to where the swing arm is against the lay's or paper stop- reinsert the drive gear and we should be very close. But would they not stamp a mark in the gears?

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

I believe I misunderstood your question. I visualized the hand wheel assembly for speed adjustment. You mention positioning the press to a point where the front lays are somewhere specific. Are you saying you had the feeder/press gearing disconnected?

5. Brothers p

Brothers p New Member

We took the belt and the flywheel per say off to take off the side covers on the non-operators side. When we started back replacing the side panel, the press got rolled over- now the sheet comes down after the swing arm arrives to pull the sheet thru the press. So the sheet crashes because the lays come down and push back on the sheet before the pull fingers let go of the sheet. Is there a timing mark in the three gears that come together on the non operators side?

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

You must be leaving something out in your description. Simply pulling the flywheel does not require gear removal. Please explain your steps. I'm not aware of ever seeing proper gear mesh unmarked, but I can tell you that if you disconnected the feeder drive gear from the press, there are likely marks, but due to the helix and tooth ratio differences, it's going to be hit / miss to get the proper mesh.

7. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Obviously there are still going to be ways to get it back together again, but it makes it that much more difficult. 'Mechanically inclined' would be a good thing, here.

junker1984 likes this.