Three digital presses to choose from

Discussion in 'Canon imagePRESS Digital Presses' started by CathieH, Mar 3, 2011.

1. CathieH

CathieH Member

Hi all. I'm a Copy Center Operator for an in-house distribution center that is looking to upgrade to a much better system and machine to draw in some of the work that's been being sent to outside printers.

We've narrowed it down to these three:
    • Konica Minolta bizhub PRESS C6000
    • Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C9065 PRO
    • Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C9075 PRO

Can any of you "in the know" tell me what you think of these machines, what makes one more valuable than the other, what features you find great on one but not the others, etc.?

I've been doing my research and I'm leaning toward the C9075 due to speed time, RAM, etc. I also want an external Fiery RIP, so does that affect my choice?

Thanks to anyone who can help me, I really appreciate it.
    CathieH

2. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

I have experience with the Konia C6000 and the Canon imagepress c6010.
    Both are great machines. the Konia built for light production and the imagepress for Heavy.

I don't know much about the image runners, but if you want specific info on the machines i have used.
    I'll be happy to tell you my experience..

3. CathieH

CathieH Member

Sure, any information I get from real users out there the better. We'll be testing these machines in two weeks and I'm gathering as much information and experience from realtime users as possible. You can't ever get too much info...

Thanks!
    CathieH

4. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Pardon my mispellings! The shop is quite busy!

The Konica C6501 and the C6000 are great machines.
    The new C6000 has a de-curling unit which is great for lighter stock and vinyl.
    The only downside I can think of is that it can only run 300GSM. (although to be honest, we have ran 120# Cover on the machine and it seems to run fine)

The imagerunner from Canon i have not used before.
    but I HAVE used to Imagepress from Canon, Ands it amazing... We run about 50-60k sheets a month and its a work-horse.
    Both Konica and Canon now how a Fiery and a Creo option with color matching etc..

Is your primary business copying? or do you do quite a bit of production/commercial printing?

5. CathieH

CathieH Member

No problem on the spelling stuff. If you've got a busy print shop, than you're lucky...so many are going out of business it seems.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I do a lot of business copying, b/w and color books both spiral and hot bind, but we're trying to get more work from our in-house marketing communications department. And to do that, we're going to need a true color digital press where I can tweek the colors and even manipulate files when and if necessary.

I'm leaning toward the Canon imagerunner 9075 myself as I'm looking for a workhorse (as you've said), something where I can do most of maintenance myself, get good color even on long runs, good backup registration, etc. I'm worried about Canon service, however. I've been told from numerous people that they're so low on techs that it's very difficult to get one when you need one.

I'm anxious to test some documents on them in a couple of weeks.

6. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Look into the Canon Imagepress C6010 (or other models in that series)
    Canon has a separate service team specifically for these digital presses.
    Konica has great service all around...

Are you in the USA? What are your expected volumes?

You could get a click rate of .05 cents USD a click for color, and .02 cents USD a click for B&W.

Printing has been in a decline unfortunately. Many online business offering cheap, low quality prints are dominating the industry.
    We are a promotional magnet company and specialize in one line of products. This separates us a bit from your everyday printer.

I used to manage a Minuteman Press , and we had a hard time bringing in new clients. You have a marketing team, which I believe is exactly what we were missing. Marketing truly is key in the printing industry. MMP used to have a motto - "if you don't market, you won't make it!"

7. abdouz

abdouz Member

Dear CathieH, I'm in your position i need to upgrade our machine xerox 250, i have 2 offers from xerox (xerox 700 or 560) other from Canon (canon 9075 or C6010), so i got feedback about canon 9070 it is light production but i need production machine maybe C6010 it is good monthly volume from 30K to 150K monthly about the quality i tested Canon C7010 it is good Quality and they told me that the quality for Canon 6010, 6010VB and 7010VB the same so i need help for that

8. CathieH

CathieH Member

Well, we went for the KM C6501. Overall, with its Creo, it had the best and most consistent color with great solids and we've always liked their service. It's being installed today. I'm not real happy about the 600x600 and wish I could've recommended the C6500, being a 1200x1200, but just couldn't justify the cost difference compared to the color quality. I'm sure it'll work for what we need at this point.

So, just an update. I'll be back to report on how the machine performs along the way.

Thanks all for your input.

CathieH

9. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Good luck with the Machine! I loved my 6501. Ran like a champ for many years.
    Did you look into the C6000? it's the upgrade to the6501. Its 1200x1200 I believe...

10. CathieH

CathieH Member

Thanks Michael.
    Yes, we looked into the C6000 but it seemed like the color was much better on the 6501 and for as much (or as little) color as we do, the price was right and the quality outstanding. We may move to a 1200x1200 in a few years if we get more color jobs in.

I'm glad you love yours. I'm loving the 6501 too - every time I'm running the machine and it stops, I think it's jammed. But it turns out that the job is done. It's still "wowing" me. :)

11. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

I wish I still had mine. I love the Canon imagepress, but sometimes I feel it's too smart for its own good.
    The 6501 would print on anything it could get its rollers on. Envelopes , 120# cover (even though not rated for it), pressure sensitive, NCR.. everything ;)

It had a great finisher too. I miss that machine.

If you have any questions about any of its applications, let me know, i'd be happy to assist you