there are 5 options, which machine is best for investment

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by Shawn, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Shawn

Shawn Member

Hi,There
    we are in Toronto area and planing to buy a used 4 color printing press, out budget is around 100k Canadian dollar(70k USD)
    three local dealer gave us the following options. all these machines are in Toronto,in working condition.
    (1)1999, Heidelberg SM74 4P3+L ,120MM, Load on truck, 11oK CND
    (2)2005, Shinohar 66ivp, 4 color, no coating unit, 47mm, Load on Truck, $65K CND
    (3)2005, Komori 429p, 26MM, including an used KODAK MAGNUS CTP 400,installed and trainning, $145k CND
    (4)1999,Heidelberg SM52-4, LOW PILE,140MM, installed and trainning, $100k CND
    (5)1997,Heidelberg SM52-5, HIGH PILE,117MM, installed and trainning, $100k CND

If you were me, which one you will choose and why?
    looking forward to have your opinons, thank you so much.

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Heidelberg SM74 simply because the larger size gives you more options, unfortunately I can't comment on the Shinohara as I have never worked on them, the Komori looks good especially with the CTP thrown in but that's something only you can evaluate. Good luck on your decision.

3. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Agreed. My opinion, you'd surely want a high pile machine if your runs are any length. I think most importantly, though, is availability of a good, somewhat local service tech for those inevitable instances of breakdown/routine repairs. I can't stress enough the fact you see this machine run, or there's a darn good running/register guarantee! Good luck on your new machine.

4. Shawn

Shawn Member

Thank you for your reply. the price of heidelberg sm74 plus installation, traning and a ctp is very close to komori 429 which is newer and with much less impressions on it. which one is better? Ichecked pressxchange.com, and noticed all of used komori 429 selling there are less than 30mm, but almost all used heidelberg sm are more than 100mm. both of them are b2 size machine, why people print very little on komori 429?anything wrong with this model?
    thanks

5. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

I work on a Komori 28 that has 115,000,000.
    Let someone said. check the machine before you buy.
    The Komori is a perfector. It only prints up to .012 I think. If you'll looking to print on thicker stock get the Heidelberg.

6. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Hello there!

Sounds like your biggest problem might not be in trying to decide which machine to get, but may actually be in knowing what it is that you’re considering doing.

1) Are you really considering making a $100,000 investment decision on a press make/model that you appear to know very little about?
    2) Will your decision be made before you ever go and see these machines?
    3) Are you really going to take into consideration, opinions from strangers on the internet (who have also never seen any of the machines that you’re considering)?

4) Would you, or have you ever, made a decision to buy a car this way? This question is a much smaller investment and risk, yet most people would easily say no to it.

Try to find someone you know and trust, who knows something about these (or any) presses, and take them with you to go see them. Then start considering your options...

7. Shawn

Shawn Member

Any advice or suggestion is valuable for me. Of course I will do more research including to see those machine in running. Thanks

8. Travis Young

Travis Young Member

Availability of local technicians should have play a big part in your decision.
    A Shinohara is probably not as reliable in 10 years time as a Heidelberg.

What sort of work do you do?
    This is the other big question.

A 52 is cheaper and quicker to make ready but not as versatile as a 74. If you only do short run (5000ish runs) A3/A4 work a SM52 is a pretty sweet little press in my opinion.
    Big sheets/ long runs = 74 with high pile

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Your choices include machines from 2 different formats. You really need to do a thorough evaluation of your needs. Buy a press that fits your needs instead of developing a biznez model around your purchase. I will say this... The flexibility of a 5th unit, regardless of the format, will be something you will only come to appreciate when the need arises, and you are forced to deal with the limitations of a 4 color. Its better to have that 5th unit and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! I also agree with junker about the high pile delivery. I would not consider any multicolor press that didn't have a high pile delivery. It should also be noted that running a larger format press than you need will result in higher expenses above and beyond the cost of the press. It will require more power. Plates and blankets will cost you more. More floorspace. And everything you purchase for the press will cost you more $$$

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020

10. Ade

Ade Member

I would also go for a high pile delivery with a coater,
    If don’t know what you are looking at get a survey by Heidelberg, Komori.
    Don’t fall for sales gimmicks “Ctp, why do they have to add that to sell a press?”
    Make sure you can be serviced by Heidelberg, Komori otherwise you could have a press down until you can get Engineer & parts to site
    Can your factory support a press is the floor strong enough do have a reliable power, water supply.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020