T-51 S-1 roller removal help for my ABDICK 9870

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Ted H, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ted H

Ted H Member

I've been running 9800 series presses since 1988 and stumped on this one. I have a 9870 with a T-51 S-1 and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the clear oscillating rollers. A screw from inside the roller cam loose and I nee to remove it to properly adjust it. All my other T-51 units are the older models and easy to fix. Surely it's something simple? If I could remover the carriage that they are connected to that would be great. See photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any tips!

2. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

Ted, I'm not sure which model I'm thinking of, but one or two model t-51 's one of the rollers come out the bottom a lot easier than trying to remove it out the top. I'm not at the shop today, I will double check first thing in the morning.

3. Ted H

Ted H Member

I just spent a few hours on it today and got no place. I don't have a parts book for this type of T-Head and that usually helps figure things out. They sure didn't make this model easy to repair the clear rollers.

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

That's a crazy looking T head. You can try a S shaped screw driver. That would at least allow you to get the screw back in place.

5. Ted H

Ted H Member

The screw goes through the entire roller to the opposite end cap where it screws in. Extremely difficult (or impossible) to get it back into the opposite end without taking the roller out of the press. I'll post a video clip of it today so you all can better see this.

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yes that I understand. The S shaped screw driver would possibly allow you get at the screw. Think L shaped. Even needle nose vise grips might let you turn the screw in enough to get it past the gear. In a pinch you can even bend a small screw driver in a vise. Or if you have a bench grinder you can make one from round stock and grind a suitable tip to get at it. There's a few ways you can go.

7. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

This is what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

8. Ted H

Ted H Member

I finally got the screw back in the roller without removing the roller which was very difficult. I probably tried 100 times. I'd still like to find out the method to remove these rollers. The older T-51's were so much easier to repair.