Swing Arm Gripper Issues

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Peter Daniel, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Peter Daniel

Peter Daniel New Member

Good Day.

I got a GTO52 and we having issues with the swing arm grippers,if we take the grip off and only use the middle one it feeds the paper no problem and registration is spot on,yet if we increase the grip so that the outer grippers just grip the paper it looks like the grippers push the paper away causing paper jams at the feeder board any suggestions please. I only have one swing arm gripper tranferring the paper at the moment just to get it to work.

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

"take the grip off and use only the middle one"...??? What do you mean by this? Are you speaking of increasing/decreasing gripper bite at the headstops, or are you doing something with the swing gripper? I don't follow, as swing arm grippers aren't removeable. Are you loosening the clamping piece and swinging them away?

3. Peter Daniel

Peter Daniel New Member

i am taking the preasure off the swing arm grippers meaning only the middle one is gripping and transferring the paper to impression cylinder. The grippers have a small grub screw that allows you to increase the grip preasure or to release the grip.

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Peter, the grub screw is not for increasing/decreasing pressure, it's a timing adjustment. Meaning the time that grippers close on the sheet at the feedboard, and open to the impression cylinder. Absolute best case scenario for you is to try to reset the grippers to match the one that is now doing all the work. This may be accomplished by loading all grippers with paper strips, and moving the press to the point that the center gripper is just closing, with a light drag, and then adjust the rest to match. Keep in mind, the barrier must be disabled by manually lifting the pawl away to allow the grippers to close. There are so many contributing factors that may have led up to this problem, that it's really not possible to relay to you all the steps to take to determine the root cause. You may have a failed cam follower on the swing arm, a bad bearing in the closing cam pivot, a worn taper pin in the operating arm...well, the list goes on. Honestly, your best move would to bite the bullet and have a tech come in with the proper tooling and expertise.

5. Peter Daniel

Peter Daniel New Member

Thanks but to get a Tech come out is a mission in South Africa.