Static on Thin Stock

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by peels, Dec 5, 2011.

1. peels

peels tree killer :)

Sorry, Im so full of questions lately :) being that Im mostly untrained on this thing.... I need some help with substrate settings. If it were on a Nexpress, Id have it solved by now, but none of my tricks are working.

I have some really thin and flimsy, semi smooth paper that I run at 17x14. I've always ran it in the Xerox 100...no probs (except stacking) I want to say it is 30# (maybe) or so....originally printed on rolls for continuous, then sheeted down for me. Never meant for Igen, but since the other xerox is down for the count, I need it.

On iGEN it comes out with massive amounts of static. Visible arcing from the cart to the frame, and sometimes to my hand :( LOL Seriously annoying...but thats only when the stacker won't jam...

Any quick advice to be had on this? I have settings as close as I am guessing they can be. But I am wondering about editing the paper settings themselves. High or Low transfer, or pretransfer, or detack...?

2. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

I have a small suggestion (although probably unrealistic in the quick prints/digital print world). Allow the paper to acclimate by leaving it in the same room/ environment that you are printing in for a day or so.

May help but I know some paper I need to use here has been sitting on a truck all night and when it comes in the door at 5AM it goes into the iGen at 6:30 AM to ship by 8AM and is still freezing cold lol. Not much I can do there except cross fingers.

3. ThomiGen

ThomiGen Member

Once I had huge static problems on 60# un-coated, 8.5 x 11 and 11 x 17. My Tech cleaned the Stacker Active Static Eliminator and I have had less severe jams in the stacker.

4. richman

richman Senior Member

Is the Active Static Eliminator something that only techs are supposed to clean, or can we do that ourselves...and if so, how?

5. ThomiGen

ThomiGen Member

Yes, Tech.

6. peels

what and where is that? never heard of it LOL if you'll please excuse the non trained guy....

I remember the Kodak digis had a static bar on the stapler that when it got dirty, or died the static went nuts....same deal? We had to put an extra static bar on our folder in here because folding some of this paper is murder...ZAP! wakes you right up.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

all Ive done so far...although it is uncoated, I have setup like it is "20lb coated" in the substrate settings... helped a little...

7. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

I'm going to assume that this is common knowledge but here it is anyway.

http://www.xerox.com/printer-supplies/paper-stock/enus.html

Click on the orange "Paper & Media List" to select the printer that you have. Open up the PDF.

This will give you the most recent "Xerox iGen3 90/100/110 Digital Production Press North America Paper and Specialty Media Guide".

It contains recommended settings and notes for various media.

8. kbarz

kbarz Member

run man roland 300 7/c put 50,000 30# uncoated stock threw it ,not much problems,, go get you some dryer sheets ( snuggle, downey etc) and let the sheets touch them,you may have to be creative on how to get them in the delivery but this will help,, also use on the feeder end to place on feed table let sheets run under them... have alot more tircks,but let me know if this helps... kbarz

9. ThomiGen

ThomiGen Member

I cleaned the Active Static Eliminator myself today for the first time. It was simple enough and released me of the awful jams in the stacker with the 60# offset the I am running today. My Tech said the the dust build up will arc to the side instead of going thought the paper. I cleaned the spikes with a tiny scotch bright pad and alcohol and the edges of the eliminator. Before I could only run about 100 sheets to the stacker, after cleaning running like a bandit.

10. peels

excellent! Can you tell me if the error you were getting is "late to VGT sensor"? Im having the problem now with 60# that I run daily-usually no problems...

I'll be doing this once I figure out where the heck this thing is. :)

11. ThomiGen

ThomiGen Member

Yes correct...XOS-11-5510....late to vgt 2 ....here is a pic of the eliminator....three screws hold it down...dont disconnect it just turn it over and clean.

Attached Files:

12. peels

you, sir, are a saint. :)

13. Michael4

Michael4 Senior Member

Acclimate the stock for sure, i have this issue with Vinyl and other synthetics. I take them out of the box, and out of the ream (despite all training to leave stock in its original packaging) Also to NOT fan the sheets before loading, this creates even more static, and the heat from the fuser even greater so.

Also, there are several settings for thin stocks. Try Transparency/film settings, these will use less heat, and cause less static..
    good luck!

14. peels

I have had to set transfer down 50 to get snowflakes to stop happening on this stock, when printing high percentage full color images. Seems to be going well. (except for knocking a spring out inside the stacker) LOL

thanks again

15. Jharden

Jharden Member

My company manufatures a static elimination ink/coating that can be applied during the printing process to pre printed base stock. The coating completely eliminates static in the sheet. This is often used on substrates that display ongoing static issues during the imaging process. If you would like more information send me an email at john.harden@standardregister.com

16. peels

excellent spammage!!! :) LOL this can be done in a digital printer?

17. peels

Ive done just about everything...and still yuck... So I went ahead and called this one in.... It is making me crazy. run 100, jam, run 100 jam. repeat.... Oh, it shocked me bad enough to shout multiple curse words this morning :)

this paper is really not that thin either....just under 60# text...

NOTE: paper runs no problem on DP180 with micr...so it'll be a hard sell to get me to believe it is the stock alone.

-Eric

18. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

I had a crazy time with 80# gloss the other day. Seems I was 400k over my 500k fuser refurb and my pressure roll was wasted.
    After a few hours of refurbing my fuser area it ran fine.
    Is your fluid up to full?

19. peels

Does the fuser have a big impact on static? I suppose that coould be, but My fuser is relatively new.....and plenty of oil...

20. Stiv

Stiv Senior Member

I think it was a combination of the humidity that day being so low that I got a warning and the fuser wrapping the paper.