Starting Printing Business

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by manutush, Mar 1, 2011.

1. manutush

manutush New Member

Hi Guys,

I work with an advertisement agency and we would like to venture to the printing business too. We do a lot of fliers and outdoor banners. We would like to expand more on these field. Am looking for advice that would lead me to purchasing good condition printers to start up my business. Any help please..Thank you:)

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

What's your buget? How many copies do you do and how often? One colour, two colour or four colours? Printed one side or two?

3. Raphael D Coccia

Raphael D Coccia Member

Its more than just adding a press. You'll need a cutter and folder. I would suggest to just keep sending the work out and make the markup. If you have a budget in mind i should be able to point you in the right direction.

4. manutush

manutush New Member

Our agency does between 45,000 and 70,000 fliers per week depending on the orders. we also do outdoor banners for branding, not so often. this is approximately 50 - 100 banners per week too. However, we also want to start the business and attract more agencies to give us the printing business. This would increase the number of production to higher numbers every day.
    Am not so sure with the budget since i dont know much about the machines. We have the market so we want to measure the viability of this business. If viable, we can allocate funds to purchase the printers and start the business.
    Thank you

5. manutush

manutush New Member

Hi Raphael,
    Our strategy is to use the machines independently as a new business to produce the work of our agency and moreover, get business in the region from other agencies since the demand is high. We are ready to listen to any offers, advice and quotes that will make us understand the business more.
    We know that its a bit demanding (budget wise) so maybe you can email me any info that will give me a start up

6. plotter

plotter Senior Member

for outdoor printed banners, look for something like a roland 540, the price over here is probably irrelevent but somewhere in the region of £10,000 - £20,000 and to print the volumes of fliers your talking, digital would not be used, you would need a four colour press, and the knowledge to use it, along with cpt, processor, guilotine. This is the minimum requirment id say. Not something to get into if you have no experience.

7. warsonprint

warsonprint Member

1. Decide your company's position: produce or purchase printing relevant product
    2. If produce yourself, cost is OK?
    3. If purchase, local or W/W?

8. FSA

FSA Senior Member

manutush

Banners for me are done on a wide formate printer(like a HP) the longest we have done was a 20' peice that was three layers tall glued to hang outside. We had to order different material to print it on for most of the posters or banner done are for inside, the wide formate printer will do banners up to 250' if you want. Now for the flyers, 8 1/2 x 11 the cheap way is to go with a Ryobi 3302 if you have a copier you can use that to make plates for short runs (5000) and use a few plates to get your quanitity, I wouldn't try to do 4colur work with those plates, for that you will need metal plates, now if your doing all 4colour work get a 4colour press the you will need a cutter, plate maker, and an operator, ball park $100,000 USD and up. There are lots of presses to choose from and more info required.
    FSA

9. keenanan3j

keenanan3j Previous User

Your printing business needs to bridge the gap between the past and the future with a diverse menu of services including electronic formatting, laminating and binding.