Starting a Print Shop (Around 150k Budget for the Equipment)

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by Print Shop, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Print Shop

Print Shop New Member

Hello there,
    Firstly I'd like to sincerely thank you for all the information on this website, I found it to be the only place where the know-how let you use their practical knowledge and expertise

My friend and I are going to start a print shop business in BC, Canada with around 300,000 $ (US) capital (It's fair to assume that 150k can be invested on the equipment and supplies) so I'd really appreciate if you could kindly guide me through purchasing the right equipment. ( unfortunately on almost all websites the prices are not mentioned leaving me with a very broad range to choose from and sending too many inquiries without knowing what I should seek for is problematic)

The shop should at least be capable of copying, scanning, various kind of printing for posters, banners, stands, brochures, flyers, business cards, vinyl and etc.

Notes:
    1- If the budget allows it, having both offset and digital printers is preferred
    2- New machines are preferred to used ones
    3- I think the more equipment and subsequently services that could be added to the shop within our budget, the better it is.
    4- I'm not sure if it's the right place but my friend had the idea of adding a 3D printer to the shop, I'm not sure if it fits our pocket or the niche

Thanks for reading and answering in advance

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Lease your digital equipment and see what monthly revenue you can produce.

Add leased machines as needed -- you need to anyway in order to get the best service contract rates.

Put your cash towards offset or finishing equipment.

Print Shop likes this.
  3. Print Shop

Print Shop New Member

Thanks for the answer
    for some reason, leasing the equipment is more trouble than it's worth and if it comes to that I'd be better off without offset. if the business grows enough, offset can be added later on. I was under the impression that 200k should cover it but guess I was wrong.

4. ballykea

ballykea Senior Member

One thing that is a must when starting from scratch is to get the right PRINT FINISHING equipment. There are many choices for items like perfect binding, Paper Drill UV coating, Round corner and Creasing machines. But unless you are willing to take on someone else's headache in the used market, your investment level can be a major part of your cost. I'd like you to look at our website at www.noramfe.com first. Omm Marchetti offers the highest quality { made in Italy} effectively priced, and most efficient print finishing equipment in today's' market. Our consultants work with you to assure that you get the right tools for the jobs, keep your investment level at a minimum and provide you with fast ROI.
    Regards.

Omm Marchetti America
    250 West Main Street
    Moorestown, NJ 08057
    856 495 9091
    ed@noramfe.com

Attached Files:

5. Biggs

Biggs Member

In the USA, opening a print shop with just offset would be a huge mistake. The run size of the average small/mid size business has drastically come down. I highly advise at least a small to mid volume digital machine. Offset printing can't be beat in high volume, but you'll be turning away a lot of potential high volume customers who what to give you a shot with a small job.

The plate making an set up costs will make it tough for you to compete early on.

If you really want top end quality, maybe look into a top end digital machine as your primary "press"
    The Kodak NexPress makes for some profound prints when the machine is kept maintained.

In fact, companies Like Minuteman Press international have advised all new shops to start purely on the digital end.

6. ballykea

ballykea Senior Member

While going digital is the best recommendation, buying a new or even slightly used high end press like Nexpress would deplete their coffers. Not to mention maintenance and operating costs. We have been involved selling used and new digital presses and finishing eqt. since 2005. A better alternative would be to analyze the lower to mid priced machines so that funds would be available to fully complement the shop.

7. Biggs

Biggs Member

Well that was my first recommendation ;)
    A Canon, maybe Konica machine would be a nice start. I'm not a huge Xerox fan, but that would also be an option.

...I sure do miss working on that ol' NexPRESS though..

8. ballykea

ballykea Senior Member

Biggs:

If you still do work on Digital presses send me your information at ballykea@gmail.com. I often get people looking for installers and tech service.

9. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

One thing about leasing -- when I started the first contract was a pain; after that it was no trouble. AND the competitors wanted to get me after I had an account with their competitors too! Second and third leases were fast, financing from the connected finance companies with no hassle.

10. ballykea

ballykea Senior Member

please send me your email address to ballykea@gmail.com and I can send you some options