spot color question freeflow

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by peels, Jan 28, 2014.

1. peels

peels tree killer :)

Ok, so we had a different printer(also xerox) mess up a job here, and NOT print a logo. It is clearly there on the pdf we created. I took the exact pdf to igen and it prints. albeit with error: "spot not supported color, alternative used"

It looks like the logo, was called a weird name- its own color. I am trying to recreate the error on Igen, for reference and to maintain color stability between presses..... But I cannot. Logo always prints. tough problem to have I know, i know... at least with settings I know what to do with....

My question, What setting or where(freeflow) could I switch to make this unsupported logo spot color NOT print?

I usually "just run what I get" if its a spot color, and it looks bad, ill fix with percentages in the queues. Other presses not so much

thanks gents!

2. Manorgen

Manorgen Member

Hi Peels
    What are your Print queue settings on the PDL Settings tab:
    Are you using Legacy Postscript Conversion or Adobe PDF Print Engine?
    I have on occasions found elements have not printed on supplied PDF files,
    I have changed the PDL settings or sent it to a different queue to correct these irregularities.

3. peels

legacy postscript. majority of my files are .ps.

Thats easily changed and tested. Ill try. I've never seen that setting change anything though.

Like I said, i'm trying to make BAD print repeat. :)

4. peels

oops i lied. this queue was pdf. so I switched to ps. no change.

isnt there a setting somewhere for what to do with certain spot colors? sorta like there is for fonts?

5. Manorgen

Manorgen Member

Yes I know your trying to repeat the logo disappearing.
    I have had that happen and got over it by running Adobe print Engine or vise verca.
    I suspect but could not prove that it was a coloured up tiff imported in Quark then turned to PDF (in the cases I have had).

6. peels

yeah its logos that come in with an odd spot color, that are supposed to be converted to black when imported, but never happened on a few of them. Its very interesting, as some of them came out ok, but some were not printed. Though the file in question that failed, came out ok on my igen with freeflow...

The other printer uses freeflow too. Thats why i'm so interested.