Speedmaster SM52-2 error S-MOT FFDF

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by zloy, May 22, 2013.

1. zloy

zloy Member

Hi to all! Maybe someone can help decode an error (S-MOT: FFDF) on Dyn code page of Speedmaster SM52-2 (year2006). It is impossible to run or inch the press.

Attached Files:

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Code translates to"REK 1 recognizes via encoder IDS that press is blocked". Good luck with that one :)

3. zloy

zloy Member

Thank you for answer! Press rotates easy by hand. I think encoder of main drive is issue. What do you think about it?

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Yes, by "blocked", it normally means electronically. Since REK and communication from encoder
    is mentioned, I'd look at those. Inspect condition of encoder cable, unplug REK and plug back in to reestablish connection of pins, look at encoder to see if it may be oil laden...hopefully it's something simple! Good luck

5. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Hi,
    It's a compact machine and there is no REK board. Instead, there is ZSK2. One part of this board, is controling the main motor. What you had sent from INIT test, means ZSK2 has got a problem. Don't loose your time and call Heidelberg service.

6. zloy

zloy Member

Why do you think ZSK2 has a problem? S-ZSKA_CTR: 0000 appears every time after loading (even when the press run normal). Today press worked normal for a few hours.

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Oops, good call Matthew! Didn't mean to be misleading, just reading back what the fault code said in my book. Gotta take what I say with a grain of salt :)

8. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Ok, if you have ZSK error for a long time, it could be an internal error. What was the last operation before the problem appears? Were you inching for cleaning or it was in crawl speed mode? I had an experience of defective BLT/TTK after inching.
    In a worst case, BLT/TTK needs some repairings.

9. zloy

zloy Member

It was inching after roller cleaning before appearing the problem first time. After one day of tryinig to fix a problem the error was gone. The press was in normal condition for one shift. The problem is not constant. We checked connection between motor tacho and TTK. It is ok. I'm sure the problem somewere in main motor (tacho-encoder) or in TTK. Changing tacho at first is the cheapest decision but i'm not sure is right ((( Which component was faulty on TTK you have repaired?

10. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

It is coming more difficult. On TTK board, you will find a big relay which switching the brake ON/OFF. It has a transparent cover so you can easily see inside. Check if there are burning effects. Usually it becomes black or dark inside.
    In case of faulty main motor encoder, usually the press starts running but the speed of motor is not permanent and due to that, it will stop after one or two rotation.
    Regarding the repairing of TTK, I don't believe that is defective. But i did several repairings by changing the power transistors.
    Check the points and come back to me. I hope you could find the problem.

11. zloy

zloy Member

Relay was opened, contacts were cleaned for insurance... We tried to disconect the motor from machine and run it. When the press is faulty the motor twitches, there is a small unstable rotation. When the press is not faulty motor makes 2-3 normal full rotations and then stop. We will try to change motor encoder (we have to wait for delivery).

12. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor Member

Replace the encoder as this is 90% the normal cause/reason
    If you are lucky you can clean out the encoder hall sensors, as i have done this many times
    and helps short term also proves if you have an encoder issues or not.
    Best Regards
    Frank (Worked for Heidelberg for 25 years, now work for myself fixing Heidelberg Press)

13. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Any updates about the problem?

14. zloy

zloy Member

Encoder will be in few days. I will wrote after replacement.

15. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor Member

Also make sure the main motor belt is in good condition and has no oil or grease which could slip and flag the same error codes. :)
    Give the main motor belt a good check over and clean. :) If unsure replace the belt and make sure you tension the belt correctly.

16. zloy

zloy Member

Thank you. The belt was cheked and cleaned first of all. Tension also is good.

17. zloy

zloy Member

Encoder was replaced, but the problrm is not eliminated. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  18. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor Member

The type of fault you are asking help with. You have the Belt as first option to check, then the encoder, then the encoder cable, then you are looking at Main motor pcb and main motor. All you can add is make sure all the basic tests are checked and you are 100% before considering motor or pcb for the motor. Check pin connections on the plugs main motor plug and encoder plug. Ask someone to test the encoder cable next ! Pull the cable out and have a good look for damage and test the cable.. :)

19. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Hi Zloy,
    As I told you, I was pretty sure that the encoder works properly. I still believe in ZSK2 malfunction due to INIT test "ZSK2" error. You need to make reset on ZSK2. Do you have somebody to do it? Sometimes it is necessary to do.
    Does the error appears after a long time running or short running?
    I will be waiting.

20. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Ooops, I realized make a reset on this machine is not possible. You will miss the licenses.