SORSZ Main Motor Problem

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Alexkusumajaya, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Alexkusumajaya

Alexkusumajaya New Member

hi..i'm new in offset printing bussiness. We have an old heidelberg. Lately i see some problems with the main motor. Can you guys give me some opinion with my main motor (it is sparking)? Is there anyone sell this kind of motor?
    Thankyou..
    video link:

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

It would appear to me, Alex, that your motor requires servicing immediately. The brushes on the commutator are very likely well past their serviceable life, and/or the main harness is burned. This will require complete tear down. At best, maybe replacement of commutayor brushes will remedy problem. While you are at it, best to check slip ring brushes.

3. Alexkusumajaya

thankyou junker1984 I already bring out the motor because it have no power speed very slow..this is what i found:
    it looks like some of the commutator already burn. is it possible to replace the commutator?

Attached Files:

4. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:
    I hope you are well
    Your motor as my colleague say require service immediately.
    Completely maintenance is required, since ANY electrical motor, must be have LUBE every 6 month, the stator, rotor, brushes
    rings, winding, balls bearing, can be cleaned, and repair. However if the motor is Older, maybe will be a good idea, Time to
    replace it.
    However will be a Good idea, if you have a Good Voltage in your print Shop?
    This can be damage any motor, or electronic control, and take the time for to do it, Tolerance will be there at + - 10%.Otherwise
    call his Utility office of Electrical Supply Company.
    If you are Agree, i can supply you, send me serial/n, model of machine exactly, and the model of motor and all specification of the main motor plate , for to quotate.

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Yes, Alex, commutator is replaceable. This can be accomplished by a qualified motor servicing shop. As Chock mentioned, if you can acquire a used and identical motor at a reasonable price, it may be cheaper to do so. However, I have never seen the need for total replacement, as these main drive motors are most often far cheaper to rebuild.

6. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Now sir
    You have the last word as my Colleague mentioned:
    Rebuilt vs New Vs Repair , all depende how is your Budget-Finance Situation
    Rebuilt in England = Old part is exchanged
    New Other Manufacturer like Baumuller,etc =Coming from Any factory all new.
    Repair: only fix it and exchange some critical parts,slip ring brusth, stator cleaned, new ball bearing. LUBE,etc.
    Now you must take your final decision.
    Let me know any question or doubt.

7. Abhi

Abhi Member

The holders which hold the carbon brushes might also need replacement as with time and heat the coil spring loses tension.
    If tension is less, carbon brush will have air gap with commutator and produce sparks

8. Alexkusumajaya

HI all, thankyou for your attention. It help me so much, I already found some local company to repair the commutator. I hope within 1-2 weeks the main motor will be functional again. I also search used identical motor but it seems too expensive since it is imported from Bulgaria. They ask for 9000 Eur before shipping. I can't afford that, so we just repair it for now.
    Thakyou you guys very helpfull

9. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Well done
    Your common sense is appreciated.