SORMZ Heidelber machine's dampening motor fault

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Javed, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Javed

Javed Member

Dear Sir
    I have SORMZ 2 color Heidelberg machine that has the problem with the dampening motor that stops running as it goes on impression otherwise manually it runs smoothly, I have cross checked the motors, electronics cards and wiring for bothe that is normal but still during impression it dies not run kindly suggest for the remedy of the fault.

2. precision1984

precision1984 Member

I’d remove the motor from the gearbox and check the brass drive gear. It may have enough tooth pitch left to spin roller configuration off impression, but not enough once rollers drop.

3. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir:
    1)Interchange the board from the work o.k for the unit that have a problem.
    2) If the problem persist, the Motor, has a faulty : like bearing+lube+reheating winding,or brush ( if use) or mechanical problem , due maintenance
    3) Look for Loose wire, connectors (corroded) dirty, pins bend, o broken, or low or high voltage in the terminal of Motor.
    4) If the problem persist after you exchange the board for the unit working, Put the motor giving problem in the o.k unit.
    5) if the problem give the same problem, TIME of Maintenance-Repair or Replace.
    Blessing

4. Javed

Javed Member

By interchanging the motor at other unit its working good. I am surprised to see the fault that motor, board and wiring everything is working at interchanging place.

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

My apologies, are you saying the problem motor DOES work well when moved to another position? If so, have you inspected all bearings in dampening roller train? Could it be that you are experiencing a mechanical binding when damps are lowered? (Junker1984/Precision1984)

6. Javed

Javed Member

Yes by dismentaling the motor outside the roller the problem is same and stop working when impression gets on.

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Look in gearbox, remove motor by 4 6mm bolts (10mm hex heads) and inspect brass drive gear.

8. Javed

Javed Member

Dear sir there is no fault in gearbox because this motor working good on the other unit.

9. precision1984

precision1984 Member

OK, then you might want to look into mechanical binding of dampening roller train? IS it possible that there may be a failed bearing in one of the dampening rollers, including the intermediate (Z) roller?

10. Javed

Javed Member

Dear sir
    Motor outside the roller is also not working.

11. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

OK, I understand now. When dismounted from machine, you get same faulty results. Have you looked at potentiomer under small round cover at very top of motor?

12. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

And, to be clear, you have exchanged SLO (or SRI depending on machine age)? Both d814 and d816 pulling in? d606 and d623 also?

13. Javed

Javed Member

No i have not looked at the potentiometer but its carbon and tacho on the top but my question is that this motor works good on other unit.

14. precision1984

precision1984 Member

And, the other motor DOES work when installed in place of non-working one?

15. Javed

Javed Member

I have exchanged but the result is same but i have to check the contactors.

16. Javed

Javed Member

No it does not work shows the same behaviour as the olderone. I have also swaped the electronic boards also but got the same result.

17. precision1984

precision1984 Member

OK, given the fact you have proven electronic cards and relays are doing their job, I do recall years ago an instance where the “mother board” (or board rack), had failed at the lamination. If this is the case, you’ll only be able to prove it by removing it and inspecting the back of the rack.

18. Javed

Javed Member

There is no mother board only separate cards are there. But i have to look at contactors and relays which are on electrical side.

Attached Files:

19. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

My apologies, yet again. I had assumed you were speaking of Alcolor dampening. The information I was putting out to you does not apply to your conventional damps. I have no schematics applicable to your machine, and it's been many years since I've worked on a system such as yours. Have you checked all black, red and white wires at the terminal strip? The next step I would normally take would be to swap boards, and I see you've accomplished that with no result. Check your schematic to see which relay, if any, is in the circuit. It may be that, particularly given the age of the machine, you may have a failed coil in the relay of the arming circuit.

20. Javed

Javed Member

Thanks for the support i check more things and tell you later sir.