SM74 fount

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ColinG, May 23, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG Member

Hi. I am running a 5 colour Heidelberg SM74. I use Presstek Anthem plates. I have always used Shackell Edwards blue star fount with good results. However, our supplier has informed us that this product has been discontinued. They have supplied other fount solutions for me to try but none have been as good as the blue star. The plates take a lot longer to clean up and I need to turn the damp up quite a lot to prevent images from filling in. Are there any other blue star users out there and what are you using now that it is no longer available . Thanks

2. White rabbit

White rabbit Member

Not familiar with the machine, so maybe im no help, but you could try alcohol replacement. I would also beat up your plate vendor for a satisfactory solution. We ran their Freedom line of plates until they dumped them (thankfully), and had the same problem. Never found a really good solution...

3. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Ive found that the fountain solution that works for one guy might not be the answer for another guy. Unless your starting out with reverse osmosis water, your success with any of the available options could be greatly impacted by your water source. I know that this is not what your looking to hear but im afraid you may need to try multiple solutions, mixed to multiple formulas, to arrive at something that works as well as your discontinued fount. As suggested you would be good to call in the tech dept of your plate manufacturer to assist you in finding a workable replacement. I would also suggest that you measure the durometer of both your water form roller and your metering roller to be sure that it is within spec. Its been my experience that on the smaller Heidelbergs you may want to consider installing a softer durometer metering roller WITHOUT a crown. Running a metering roller without a crown will allow you to not tighten the metering roller down as much, allowing you to run the dampener at a slower speed. Either way I would not get too hung up on the dampener dial unless of course its running in the 85% and higher range not allowing for any adjustment. Its only a number!!!