SM52 Pan Roller Bracket - Adjustment Screws?

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by DeluxeBD, Sep 19, 2017.

1. DeluxeBD

DeluxeBD Member

We have a question regarding our Speedmaster.

There is a set screw and a spring loaded flat head screw on the bracket assembly that houses the pan and chrome rollers. What is their function - Is there an adjustment here? If so, how should they be set? I'm going to attempt to insert a couple of pictures of what I am attempting to describe. The part is labeled 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 in the picture from the book.

Thanks in advance.
    PanRollerBracket02.jpg PanRollerBracket01.png

2. Tdj_81

Tdj_81 Member

I've never touched that flat head screw , I wouldn't bother trying. Have you got water issues with your press atm

3. DeluxeBD

DeluxeBD Member

Not really at this time. We have an operator that got over zealous trying to fix different issues over time and he has played with these adjustments without really knowing what he was doing. I was just looking for answers on what, if anything, they actually did, and how they should be set, so that if they aren't an adjustment, we could set them back to the way they're supposed to be set.

4. Tdj_81

Tdj_81 Member

:D Ahh well I doubt he could move that screw.
    The one next to it as in the night latch ( Allen key screw ) that could be set.
    If you have trouble with catch up on start up that could be out .
    Also if the chrome roller adjustment has been messed with to much it can go out of factory set , that would give you strife with your water form roller and chrome connecting to your plate .
    Looking at your chrome roller adjustment in your pic it looks like it's in the right spot though ;)
    He couldn't do much to get the machine in trouble it's a Heidelberg :D

5. DeluxeBD

DeluxeBD Member

Thank you for your replies.
    Interesting... had no idea this was a night latch. I can't find anything in our manuals that point to these as anything. Can you elaborate on how it works? I'll explain a little better what I'm trying to learn... The gear shaft that drives the water pan roller had started to wear, so the operator was having more and more difficulty getting rid of the heavy water on the pan/chrome setting on the operator side of the press. He started playing with these screws... I'm not sure if he moved the flat head screw at all, but he definitely made adjustments with the Allen screw. He felt like it was making a difference, whether it really was, I don't know. He felt like it was a settings change and carried some of his playfulness to other towers too. Anyway, we got the shaft and gear replaced and it fixed the problem between the water pan and chrome rollers, but going forward, I want to make sure those Allen screws are positioned in the right place so that we aren't causing unnecessary wear on other towers or the new shaft that was put in.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. contractor

contractor Member

2017-11-03 11.06.22.jpg Night latch gap between the pan roller and the chrome roller is set via the 5mm Allan screw as shown in the pic - you may need a cut down Allen key. With the machine off the pneumatic air needs to be released then there will be no pressure on the piston and you adjust a 0.1mm gap between the 2 rollers. Normally you don't adjust this setting as its not a roller setting but a positional setting between the piston and roller.

7. Tdj_81

Tdj_81 Member

Thats the one , not sure why they haven't put this in the manual on how to set it properly but I found out how to adjust it through a Heidelberg Rep who came into work as well as on this forum . You should start with the method what the contractor put up then see how you go.

Turn off - Pressure out near the feeder ( near the oil filler -
    I push my Chrome roller to my damper roller then you will have a gap.
    I slide in a miked up piece of .10 paper in between each sides of the roller - coated 130gsm is close . Tighten or loosen the Allen key with the chrome down to the damper and paper in between. Should be a little tight to pull the paper out on each side .

---
    Before you set it make sure your rollers are set aswell and in your basic settings on your Touchscreen are zerod on your start up Damp ;) that's if you use the damp settings.
    There are more damp settings in the screen to adjust if your tech savvy lol
    ---
    Then you can do a Test. if you have your pressures on your rollers set correct and you are getting to much catch up on your initial push of the Dampers going on and not enough water.
    Tweek that Allan key a little to the right you will get a little more water on the plate at --) start up.
    It's a fine line but just don't go to far with the Allen key adjustment, then just check your water pan to your chrome to see if they are still set correct.
    You will see a 1 to two inch wall of water across your pan roller when you hit your damp button on and then off -- before you startup .

Hope this helps ;)

8. DeluxeBD

DeluxeBD Member

Thank you guys... that's exactly what I was looking for! :)