SM52 - Coating Unit - Getting Desperate.

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by noegoman100, Sep 14, 2015.

1. noegoman100

noegoman100 New Member

Hello. So, even Heidelberg can't help us. It seems like such a simple problem. The Coating unit won't respond. The blue light is blinking and we can't get the press to move. The error on the computer is "Lifting unit not at basic position". Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

With all due respect, noego, Heidelberg can't help doesn't sound realistic. This issue may be as simple as a position switch failure or as catastrophic as the positioning drive failure. Does the coater raise and lower on demand? Does it appear to be in home position?

3. noegoman100

noegoman100 New Member

Thank you for your reply, Junker1984. The coater does not rise or lower on demand. Bypassing the upper most position switch on the operator side allows me to start the press again. However, the coater does not move up or down. I believe the coater is an inch below the upper most position.

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Any faults showing in INIT, HAK or error display? Have you removed covers to inspect lift mechanism, plugs, wires and surrounding area for mechanical cause? I've little electrical knowledge on SM52 press/coater...hope I've given you some direction. Exheid...Matthew...you care to jump in here?

5. noegoman100

noegoman100 New Member

The only error message on the monitor is "Lifting unit not at basic position". I have removed the covers and tested all of the switches. They are all functioning normally. Perhaps it is the lift motor itself, but I am not certain on how to test it.

6. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Trust me, this is an issue that Heidelberg can help you with. As already noted above, this could be a very simple fix or something very complex, either way definitely not something that can be troubleshot or fixed in an online forum. If you dont want to use Heidelberg thats one thing but dont say Heidelberg cant help. If your looking for a technician other than Heidelberg im sure you will have no problem finding one here.

7. Ovalprint

Ovalprint New Member

some body know what was the solution for this kind of problem?, in our case, we have similar problem, we have three dots:
    malfunction on the position switches of the lifting unit,
    Malfunction in coating Blanket cylinder drive and
    Incorrect position of lifting unit or drive error.
    the same, our press is down, in it case, 3 technical can't help us, so any body know what can we do to fix it problem

8. wyagow

wyagow New Member

When that happens on my press it means that you don't have the minimum air pressure to your press. If your on house air or compressor that comes with press you will need to increase pressure for the fault to go away. You may mechanical issues with compressor.