SM52-5 Impression cylinder jacket

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by richck, Nov 30, 2009.

1. richck

richck Member

We need to fit a new Impression cylinder jacket on our SM52-5 on unit 4, the price that Heidelberg are quoting us for the work doing is rediculous, as this isn't covered on our service contract. I've changed one on the last unit before and it wasn't to tricky, but i understand that the other units are a bit more difficult, would any of you Heidelberg guys have any tips on what to look out for when doing this.

Thanks
    Rich.

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Easiest way is to take out the blanket / impression washer, remove the bottom stainless steel plate and put the new jacket on from that side.

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

There are two ways to install a jacket. First of all you need a pressing bar, if you dont have one than forget it. Asuming you have one, you can go through the back side where the blanket washer is like mrheidelberg said. I feel this is the harder way. In my opinion the easier way is through the other side. Here is how I do it. Remove the old jacket. make sure all 5mm allens are completely loose before installing the jacket. Slip lead edge into impression cylinder. You will then need to have someone turn the machine backwards to give you access to the allens. Gently bend the jacket backwards against the blanket cylinder being careful not to damage the jacket. Tighten middle allen, this will hold the jacket in place while you install the tail. You will need a 5mm allen that is shortened to give you access to the allen screws. It will be very tight, but its doable. Once the middle allen is tight have someone turn the press forward until the tail is reachable. install the tail of the jacket. Do not tighten the tail completely so there is a little slack in the jacket. Now move back twoard the lead edge and install the pressing bar. Loosen the middle allen, clamp down the pressing bar so its tight against the jacket and now tighten all the allens. Remove the pressing bar and now completely tighten the tail. Put the machine on impression and crawl the machine to get out any possible air pockets under the jacket and your done. This is a more risky way, but I think its easier. Ive done it both ways, this way I can remove and install a jacket in 20 minutes. Keep in mind I have done quite a few of them, it probably will take you closer to an hour or an hour and a half the first time. You have to decide which way you feel more comfortable with.

4. richck

richck Member

Thanks for the advice lads, fitted the new jacket today without any problems.
    Rich

5. jmt

jmt Senior Member

ty for the great tips .I was able to change a jacket on are sm52 1st unit not much room to work .I just wanted to say thanks! i have seen it done before but never did it myself.

6. mark1234

mark1234 New Member

I also need to replace a jacket on my sm52-2 on the head at the delivery. Where can I get a pressing bar?

7. jmt

jmt Senior Member

usually comes with the press . if not may have to buy one or some times heidi will lone them out .They did that once for use but that was years ago.

8. davidpena2228

davidpena2228 Member

Would it be possible to do without the pressing bar?

9. Meny

Meny Senior Member

it would be wrong to try. you can expect the need to buy more jackets.
    buy the bar - it will be cheaper in the long run

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Perfector jacket I would always use the bar, if your installing a steel non perfecting jacket, go ahead without the bar. If you dont get it in correctly and need another jacket your only out 150 bucks or something like that.

11. davidpena2228

davidpena2228 Member

Thanks for the advise all... it only took about 25 min all in all with out the bar. Was able to place under impression in the right spot to tighten allens. So all is good now.. thanks again for the advise.

12. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Perfector jackets have different thickness compared to regular?

13. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Perfector Jackets and Steel Jackets are the same thickness