sm102 pincer gripper

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Joe Rupp, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Joe Rupp

Joe Rupp New Member

Hi my pincer gripper is allowing my sheet to bounce in perfect does anyone know how to adjust the pincer grippers, it looks like there is a set bolt and an allen adjust will tightening the grippers stop the bouncing or is it caused by something else in the pincer gripper.
    Thanks Joe

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Have you back trimmed the stock?

What appears as bounce is actually the result of the difference in length from front to back of the sheet

I would never suggest in messing around with the pincer gripper settings, that is best left to an engineer

3. rham

rham New Member

The pincer grippers are on the shaft if the shaft becomes worn it will have play in it. It cost about a galzillion dollars to have the pincer grippers repaired. Like the man said back trim the stock, makeready the back side, make sure it is straight, then move the plates on the front to line up with the back. If it bounces then you might have a pincer bar problem i hope not:)

4. rac74

rac74 New Member

What year Speedmaster? Does it only bounce At high speed in perfect only?

5. printerpress

printerpress New Member

If your problem only appears with perfecting than check the suction bar.
    Alle the holes should be clean, if not take a 3,5mm drill in between two fingers, turn it in and than pull it out of each hole along with the dirt. Also check the filters in the vac.pump.
    Check if the streching-function of each bar is on and works properly, you can do that by pushing the control-bar with the little cam-roller on it sideways in the DS-direction.

6. 640 Pressman

640 Pressman Member

In my experience there is always a little bounce while perfecting so if it's a critical job don't perfect.

7. archetype

archetype Member

Check the cam follower on the segment for pitting or wear marks, if anything looks odd there have it replaced. It should be done by a tech due to the torsion bar under the segment. Tension on the pincer fingers should be set from underneath the press, this should also be done by a tech. Alittle variance in sheet size generally won't affect front to back reg when perfecting. If your sheet is too long it will nick, if it is too short it may drop it.

8. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

there are 2 suction bars that have to be engaged individually. be sure you do both

9. Lee Thompson

Lee Thompson Member

all perfecting speedmasters can cope with a little over or under sized paper as the pincer grips the back edge of the sheet the same place every time,as for setting it yourself forget it,this is a job for heidelberg engineers.

10. 6colorpressman

6colorpressman Member

I ran a sm 102 for years and have had the same problem...back trimming helped a little.and setting the pincer grippers yourself ...is to say the least ill advised...what I would do is take some emeryboard......maybe 60 grit or finer and cut pieces small enough to be glued or spray adhesive to the top of the gripper pad.....it isnt a fix all...but helped.... good luck

11. pa printer

pa printer Member

I ran a 2/2 102 cperfector for years and you absolutely do not want to experiment with setting the pincer grippers at all. If the paper is relatively even it will run like a clock, if paper is a question take a lift and back trim it you will know immediately what the problem is. DO NOT mess with the grippers that is for the mechanics, and even then cross your fingers and hope they did a good job.

If that press is set up correctly and the paper is close you should be able to run about 8000 iph.

12. jimmprint

jimmprint Member

pincer bar

Hi Joe, If you need pincer bar(hope not) google Pincer Bar, looks good and cheap!!

13. ij5000

ij5000 Member

the only thing i can su=ggest is check the cam follower!! it might be the paper varying in size. If the 1st unit is doubling and causing a ghosting image while perfecting it is not the sheet size varying,dont mess with the pincer the get an engineer out to sort the problem! had the same problem about 6 months ago