SM 74 oscillating roller

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by swilson513, Sep 4, 2021.

1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

On a 2003 SM74 we have a bearing on the gear side of the press is shot. There looks to be a clip ring that holds it on, once that clip is removed will the bearing come off fairly easy?

Attached Files:

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

No, removal of assembly is needed.

asem alsafady likes this.
  3. swilson513

swilson513 Member

On a high level how much disassemble is needed and is it all done from the gear side?

thank you

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

All is done GS, 6mm (5mm Allen caps) behind bearing area to remove lower portion after removal of 17mm nut...be sure to file away peining of threads. Removal of upper pivot done by driving out roll pin. I hope I'm recalling SM74 assembly correctly, should be same as 102.

5. swilson513

swilson513 Member

Thanks for the heads up on filing off the threads. Information is very helpful. Parts are here next week hopefully it goes well. Seems like when it rains it poors $$$$$.

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

The universal bearing can be procured locally, just another heads up.

7. swilson513

swilson513 Member

My counter part had ordered yesterday after I left at $150.00 probably about a $40-$60 bearing.

Another question - the plate clamp on this same unit isn’t opening all the way on the tail edge. We just replaced the water motor on this same unit so I might of disturbed an air line, the lead edge is working fine. If the bladder was leaking would it have an effect on both clamps?

Just curious what state are you in? Ia here, we use to have a Heidelberg service guy that was only about 40 miles so it wasn’t horrible on getting him here. Now we pay windshield time of usually 6-8 hours.

8. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

I’m north of Minneapolis.

Leaky or failing bladder is noticeable by a very distinct “whooooshing” sound when activated. All air lines are on OS, so don’t think changing Alcolor drive would have affected anything.