SM 74 Impression Cyl Jacket - 2003

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by swilson513, Dec 31, 2015.

1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

How difficult is it to change the impression cyl jacket on 6\c press on unit 5. We have the pressing bar. By looking at it it appears there are several 5mm bolts across the leading edge and I can see the plastic screws that come out to install the pressing bar. I'm confused by the tail edge, can someone explain how it is released and then how it is tightned back up?

TIA

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Look for the 17mm hex at the OS of the rear clamping. Consider this, though. If you've never hung a perfect jacket, and you don't know the proper procedures, is it worth taking the chance of putting it on yourself? Last I'd seen, they run over $2,000.

3. contractor

contractor Member

Pretty sure there is a series of 10 and 13mm hex bolts along the tail edge the 10mm clamps the jacket and the 13mm tensions the jacket.

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Touche' contractor!

5. contractor

contractor Member

Sm52 have the 17mm hex on the os

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Yes, I had, once again, what we call a "senior moment"...and I'm only 57! A sign of things to come? Hope not :) thanks for covering me on this one, contractor! Main message of my post, though, is for swilson to be careful when considering hanging this jacket himself. Happy New Year, everyone!

7. swilson513

swilson513 Member

$$$$

From Heiedlberg it was $3009.00. I don't have a problem paying to have Heidelberg do it, it's just that we need to use that unit Monday and they can't get here until Thursday. I seen the 10 & 13mm bolts across the back. Is there a specific torque that can be used to tension the jacket or is it just by feel and experience?

I got use to having the service tech show up the same day or next morning but now Heidelberg has cut there service staff so much getting them here has become somewhat frusterating.

Done the 52 a several times I was hoping for it to be as simple as the one bolt to tension it.

Thanks

8. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Yes, swilson, feel and experience. Also, care in properly preparing the clamp and cylinder...cleaning thoroughly and making sure clamp is opening and pivoting fully. After years of use, the clamp can tend to be gummed up a bit. Being sure to verify the jacket is fully in clamp and down on the lead surface with no gap, and that it runs absolutely true to the circumference.

9. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Don't forget to apply the corrosion protection oil and sealent. Also tighten up the clamp bolts from inside to outside and same for tensioning bolts. Tighten them lightly several times then finally tighten them up fully.

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

SM74 Impression cylinders are chrome and dont need the sealant on the sides. Just spray the cylinder with LPS3 Rust inhibitor before you install the jacket and your good. Sealant is only needed on the old SM102 before the cylinders were chromed. Wont hurt anything if you seal it but not needed.