sm 52 will not start

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Albuq. Henry, Jan 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

Hello, I am trying to help someone who recently purchased a 2005 sm52 2 color.

Backround on the machine is that the compressor would trip a circuit breaker in the elecrical cabinet. So the compressor was removed and they are now using shop air.

They are getting an error with the circle around the t.

Here are some codes..

I know one shows the warning for low air but that is not always there.

They also get the warning whistle to run but it doesnt run.... I will double check that they are pressing the button again after the whilstle.

Attached Files:

2. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi Albuq.henry
    Your problem is a dynamic test error, if you go to the "PRINTPLANET"forum on your pc ,sheet fed forum and read through the threads you should be able to resolve the issue .hpoe this helps
    regards johnyprint

3. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

check that the brake is not sticking, give it a wiggle

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Couple of issues that you may have. First you should never remove a pneumatic compressor from the press when using house air. You should leave the compressor attached to the press and use a "T" in the line going from the compressor to the press to link your house air. This way your house air is not only pressurizing the press but also any pressure switches that may be on the compressor that also need to be satisfied. Secondly check your incoming power to ensure all three legs are the same leg-leg and leg-ground. A dedicated ground is also required. If the press has been recently installed and has never run at new site you may want to check rotation. There also may be an issue with your low voltage which may require you to move a voltage tap on the internal transformer.

5. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

Thanks for the replies!! :D

Here is the deal on this machine. It is actually in Mexico. I helped a dealer in El Paso by setting it up and printing a test job. By setting it up, I mean that I just connected the blowers and water unit and wash up tanks, then printed a small 4 color job that he showed the guy in mexico who bought it. The reason the we disconnected the compressor was because it took a very long to come up to pressure. About 20 min or so. It would get overheated, I assume, then trip a circuit breaker in the electical cabinet. (This was the same thing we did on my sm 52 that I run daily. This one had an aftermarket compressor that the previous owner never got to work, so we removed it on ours and have not had any problems. I know we have to keep the ciruit breaker on for the compressor but the electrical connector is just empty under the machine).

I have been talking with them through e-mail. Translation is pretty poor. lol When I was typing to start this thread it dawned on me that they may not be pressing the run button again after the warning whistle. They had said it would buzz and the brake would release but not run. The last time I emailed them I said to press it again after the buzz and I have not heard back from them.

Is it possible to get the warning whistle but yet the machine is not ready to run?:confused:

As far as the electical hookup. I do not know anything about that since on ours a tech verified proper voltage before we turned it on. And the same in el paso. Not sure what is going on in Mexico. I will forward your thoughs.

Thanks, Henry. I will keep posted on what I hear.

6. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

They said the machine rotates easily by hand. Now that I think about it I will have them double check that the crank is not still installed and the switch that ''sees'' the crank is in its proper position.

7. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

When you talk about incoming power what do you mean exactly? Check voltage for each leg? If I put the muliti meter one on ground and the other on each leg there should be a certain voltage for each leg? I think if I did this in our shop I would have one leg of 220V and 2 legs of 110V. I also remember in El paso they had the get a transformer because the 3 phase in their shop was not correct. Then they had to get a different transformer because the data plate outside the electical cabinet was different from what it said on the inside of the cabinet. Does this sound possible? The press was origionaly from Canada.

Also you say check rotation. Meaning polarity? like it is trying to run backward? or you are asking if it can rotate easily like not jammed or locked up?

You also said "may be an issue with your low voltage". Is one of the codes saying low voltage? Or you are thinking there is low voltage?

thanks Henry

8. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

I got another e-mail they said they were pressing the go button twice.

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

You will have to look on the outside of the electrical cabinet of the press to see its power requirements. If its a PM52-2 it is possible that it runs on 200v. Incoming power should be +/- 5% of the required power. If you are over or under this 5% window you can potentially damage the computer. If your press requires 200v for example, you should get close to 100v leg to ground, and the three legs should be very close. When you check phase to phase you should get very close to 200v. You want to avoid using a high leg. You may need to get a buck/boost transformer to get the power where you need it. To check rotation or polarity, usually I will do this at the pneumatic compressor. There is usually an arrow on the fan. If this is not easy to get to that I will also do it on the main compressor. Just remove one of the hoses and turn it on. If its blowing where its supposed to blow you are good, if not than you need to change rotation. In your second post you said you had to push the run button twice, what do you mean by that?

10. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

When the machine is going to run you press the green run button, then the machine will give a all cear warning tone then it is required to press the run button, or jog button again for the machine to actually run. I wasnt sure that they were pressing the button again after the warning tone.

11. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Can you please have them confirm the press is a SM52 and not a PM52.

12. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

it is an sm 52, speedmaster, 2005 I believe
    very similular to my 2000 model but with a few more buttons and blowers....
    I wanna say the software is called KID? or something like that...

13. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

I just recieved this message from them.

Henry we have a doubt the Heidelberg machine marks us on a plate which is on the outside of the box voltage is 600 Volts and inside that box is indicates for 480 volts. You use the transformer is 240 volts to 480 volts output what we have been checking in terms of voltage is we're putting out 216 volts and 465 volts are getting full, you imagine that this problem which is causing us the machine does not run.

Thank your

Best Regards.

Jorge Miramontes

14. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

On the electrical cabinet of the machine it will tell you the power requirements. It will either be 480 or 240 or if the machine is really new maybe 200v. If he is getting 465 volts it should be ok, however he should make sure he doesnt have a high leg. Have them check leg-leg and leg-ground.

15. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Member

Well this turned out to be a voltage problem. Not enough, I understand. Thanks for your help...-Henry