SM 52 wash up problem

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by old school 52, Jan 15, 2019.

1. old school 52

old school 52 Member

My press is not detecting the presence of the #2 washup machine. Any ideas of what may be wrong. I can program both units to wash but the second unit drops out when started. Also the yellow light is blinking indicating the #2 machine is missing.
    Thanks

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Inductive sensor, gear side under slide in cartridge.

3. old school 52

old school 52 Member

Replace or adjust? I have seen it and cleaned it, no change. I have not moved it.

4. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Why not try switching them and see what happens?

5. old school 52

old school 52 Member

I would transfer them but I do not know if they have a tolerance to be set at.

6. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

You can switch them, just stay close to make sure there's no issues when you first try washing the blanket. You might also try just moving the one washer that's giving you troubles to the other unit, and leave that unit's washer out of the press completely until you've tested it. In other words, only move one washer at a time until you've tried it - just to be safe.

On a side note, this reminds me of a time some years ago when I operated these presses. I once saw a guy override the empty cloth signal on one unit, and wash blankets anyway. When he started up to continue printing, the cloth came off the roll and wrapped itself around the blanket cylinder, finally jamming up, and stopping the press. After some effort, we were able to clear this ourselves (I was on a nearby press, and able to come over and help him) but apparently, it wasn't even the first time that that had happened!. Talk about your talented operators....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

7. old school 52

old school 52 Member

Problem solved thanks for all the advice