SM 52 two colour Vacuum pump seams to have stopped working

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by blktbs04, Jan 11, 2017.

1. blktbs04

blktbs04 New Member

Hi we have SM 52 two colour and the press starts up the the circuit breaker inside the electrical enclosure on the side of the press drops out and a symble a circle with a line at the bottom and the letter M in it the Vacuum pump seams to have stopped working the press starts to fun but the paper is not picked up in the feeder stack does anyone have experience/advice with this?

2. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Check the carbon vanes in the pump. Most likely the have shattered. Very easy to do, remove the front cover, remove the 3 filters and remove the 7 or 8 bolts around the front plate. Once the front plate is removed you will be able to see the rotor and vanes. If they are broken, simply clean them out best as possible, use compressed air to blow it out and turn on the pump for a few seconds without the cover or new vanes, this will help clear out any remaining carbon fragments.

Bledar likes this.
  3. blktbs04

blktbs04 New Member

thanks exheidmech, I take it from your tag that I can rely on your information ;-} We have a temporary unit coming out tomorrow from a friend to get us up and running then I will follow your instructions and see what we find. If this is the case would we just source new vanes and replace? from Heidelberg or aftermarket?

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Get them from Heidelberg, they might cost a bit more but as with anything, you get what you pay for.

5. blktbs04

blktbs04 New Member

Thanks I thought as much.

6. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

Just a word of advice. Do not turn the pump on with the new vanes in it and the cover off just to see how it works. Unless of course you are wearing body armor...

7. blktbs04

blktbs04 New Member

ha ha ha thanks Paul, we have it appart allready thismorning and the veins are fine, the motor is earthing so it looks like a rewind is on the cards... or source another unit?