SM 52 Ink Ball Drive

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by old school 52, Oct 27, 2015.

1. old school 52

old school 52 Member

Where can I find the pot to adjust speed of ink ball? It will not slow below 10/15%.

2. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

There is no pot on SM 52 to adjust speed. This is done internally in the software. If your machine had modular software you can try swapping HAK boards to see if this moves your issue to a different unit, if so you will need to replace the board.

3. old school 52

old school 52 Member

Thanks Exheidmech, This is a 2/c press and both units do the same thing.

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Its not modular but compact electronics. It really depends also on the year of the machine. The EWK board controls the fountain roller but Im not sure if one board controls both units. What year is it?

5. contractor

contractor Member

Im pretty sure 10% is the minimum you can go as exheidmech said its in the software.
    If you want to stop the roller from turning you need to turn it off in the preselection screen.

6. old school 52

old school 52 Member

I'll have to research the year, approx 10/12 years old. Contractor if 10% is the lowest setting why can it be dialed down to 0%. I am not doubting you but it should be able to dial down. This really does not bother me much but it would be nice to slow it down. The owner just said he thinks its 1995 or there abouts. I will look into this more it has to be documented somewhere. Thanks for your input.

7. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Whats the serial number?

8. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

I do believe it is true that you cannot go below a certain percentage, I dont know exactly what it is. My best guess is that your machine is operating normally because it is happening on both units. If your machine is a 1995 machine each fountain roller motor is operated by a different board and its not likely both boards are doing exactly the same thing.

9. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

I do believe exheidmech is right, both EWK board could not be diffective. Regarding to your question, each of auxiliary drives, ink fountain and water pan roller motors have a preset speed while machine starts running. There is no chance to change it. The reason is to keep rollers from severe damages. For your information, each roller has differential revolution speed to machine speed. If these speeds would not be adopted together, there will be an excessive friction between duct roller and fountain roller.
    Your machine is Compact and it's a little tricky to see auxiliary motors revolution speeds, but on Modular CPTRONIC, you could see the preset speeds of ink fountain roller and water dampening roller are 180 and 250 revolution per minute (SM74) when machine is standstill or run in basic speed at 3000. When the adjustments are set 0%, they will turn with preset speed, as you set 10%, you have to add 10% to the preset speed, it would be 198 and 275.
    I hope these instructions fit to your requests.

Good luck,

10. old school 52

old school 52 Member

Thanks for the info my friends. This is not a big deal as far as running jobs is concerned and I think I'll just go with the flow.

Thanks again.