SM 52 blanket wash sudden stop

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Kartal55, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Hey guys! '03 speedy 52 when in blanket wash mode unit 2 press stops suddenly... İf I put into crawl the error light goes out and wash mode lights up green again good to go. İt's always unit 2... Any ideas

2. contractor

contractor Member

What error is it showing when it stops?

3. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Good day Sir:
    Hope you are well
    After checking the schematic diagram , you must test the following Solenoids for 2nd
    unit, that you are mentioned :
    1) Ny52+53+54, For open or short, or burn, or loose wise, or lack of VoltageDC.or sticking mechanical Problem. Repair or Replace.
    2) Some Led will be Lit with some problem happen example, and let me know:
    a) Red LED, Not possible Start the machine b)Yellow LED is flashing indicating some perturbation in the machine c) BLUE LED is flshing control console
    3) Test if the LUBE(GREASE) had been indicated correctly and fluid, or the GREASE pump can be faulty.
    4) Sensor nB42 Damped.
    Let me know any question or doubt

4. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Just the standard yellow flashing fault light! That's what is strange. İt's not something specific as I say it's fine again right after crawl...

5. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Thanks chock it's obvious you have many years experience on speedy's...

6. contractor

contractor Member

Not really making sense if the press actually stops during a wash there should be an error symbol or sometimes error code in the error screen on the console.
    One thing you can try is to swap the wash cartridge from 1 and 2 and see if the error follows the cartridge or stays on printing unit 2.

7. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Strange huh! Without clearing any errors after One revolution of crawl the wash mode lights up green again good to go...

8. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Sir
    Do the TEST

9. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

There is really only a couple of reasons for a fault during a blanket wash. As already stated you should try swapping the wash unit to see it your issue goes to the 1st unit. Next, try to go to the wash service screen. From there you can manually turn the towel forward and backward using the +/- buttons. The washer will need to be in with the guard closed, but with a flashlight you can still look in and confirm that the towel is moving normally in both directions. If not, its the motor. Motor is very easy to replace. 3 M6 bolts and a plug located on the drive side. Next, you can check to make sure the towel movement is being detected normally. There are 2 proximity sensors on the drive side where the washer slides in. Both have a red LED on them. You should be able to use a screwdriver tip against the sensor and confirm that this sensor is working. Do this with both sensors. USUALLY this means that the sensor is working. Next make sure that both sensors are the correct distance from the washer. The sensor closest to you will detect if the towel is out. Distance between the sensor and head of 7mm screw head is about .5mm. The sensor farther in detects towel movement. On the drive side of the washer you will see a toothed gear. This is what that sensor sees. As this gear turns the prox sensor will generate a pulse from the high and low spots of this "gear" telling the software that the towel is moving. My guess is this is where your issue is. If the machine is seeing a pulse from this sensor that is too fast, it will see this as the blanket wash towel is being sucked into the press and produce a hard stop. Make sure the towel is not too lose when you remove the washer, there should be a little tension on the towel when you remove it. Could also be an issue with the friction bushings that keep the towel under tension. This can be confirmed if you swap washers.

10. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Thanks heaps for your detailed reply exheidberg! Currently being bounced between several presses and will definitely try your suggestions when Next on speedy... cheers

11. wyagow

wyagow New Member

I run an SM 52 anicolor and when I started to have blanket wash faults it was the friction bearings on the cloth rolls. They have a set screw that can be adjusted more or less friction. The set screw adjustment on the clean roll was the most important. May need a slight increase to keep the roll snug during blanket was sequence.

12. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

follow up with our problem; i noticed that the sensor that detects cloth feed is very faint unlike others in the press. the gap also to tip of gear teeth seems bigger than 1st unit.

13. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir
    Good day
    I believe that you Did not the test
    Please let me know any question or doubt

14. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

When I fully understand the procedure i will do The test.

Thanks chock! Good man

15. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok sir is your decision.

16. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Its unlikely that the faint LED has anything to do with your issue. Even though it is faint, it is still getting the signal. Same with the distance between the teeth. If the distance was too big you wouldnt be getting a signal at all. I am assuming that you already tried to swap the washer with another unit and still getting the same results. If you havent swapped yet, please do so because it could be the friction bushings within the washer itself. If you have done the swap, I would next try to go to the service washup screen and manually turn the towel forward and backward and compare that movement with a known good unit. It could be a bad servo motor too. Hope this helps

17. Kartal55

Kartal55 Member

Thanks exheid yes I have tried swapping cartridges around and they behaved ok for a few days. Then today we got compressor low pressure warning. The point I've been trying to get across from Day one is for some inexplicable reason it's always when doing unit 2 blanket. It washes both imp cyl fine. If it's a servo fault then those same servos seem to perform ok doing impressions.. there is no ryme or reason for it.
    When they pivot to reach the imps I'm thinking could it be the cloth is tighter and so less likely to confuse sensors...