Sm 52.2, dampened problems.

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by old school 52, Apr 3, 2024.

1. old school 52

old school 52 Member

New ink and dampener rollers 6 mths ago. Dampening problems ever since. Also company changed to Kodak on press developing plates and different ink supplier at the same time. Using S-3001 fount solution from bottcher. Only thing that hasn't changed. Thinking of changing to a tower product. Problem, just can't maintain good dampener settings.
    Any suggestions?

2. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

Yes. Rollers settings

3. old school 52

old school 52 Member

...yes I get that. If it was something mechanical it wouldn't be same problems in both units, right?If I had a dollar for everything I reset I could retire.

4. old school 52

old school 52 Member

The only thing shady about settings is the form to Chrome setting, having a variable strip because of rollback book says.

5. silviumihaila2002

silviumihaila2002 New Member

First check dampening solution, pH aditive and IPA, alcool, if this is OK, check rollers setings.

6. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

What are the dampening problems that you speak of?
    Are the Kodak plates Sonora X?
    How are you rolling the plates up?
    Is the Bottcher 3001 a 1-step fount?
    What ink are you using?
    All roller settings are correct, including the Z roller?
    Have you tried disengaging the Z roller, and running segregated?

7. old school 52

old school 52 Member

I have water swings from one side to another after starting run, maybe 100 to 150 sheets in. Which is what book describes about chrome roller not being centered on meter roller.
    S3002 is a two step. Running 3 oz per gal at 6 % alcohol. Water reads 200/250 depending on day, 420 to 460 typically at 3 oz per gallon. Rolling plates up on scrap sheets as instructed. Sometimes clean in 4 or 5 sheets other times much more difficult.
    Checked bottcher site S3002 is not even listed??

8. Jack liston

Jack liston Senior Member

The owner's of your company are not doing anything to help.when they changed plates .ink and solution all the vendors should have been in the pressroom at same time to get everything dialed in.been through this too many times.you should throw it back in their lap hopefully you can sort it out

9. Raf77

Raf77 Senior Member

Are there more presses in the company? Does it happen on all of them or just yours?
    While they changed plates to processless, didn't they change your pre damp settings to better develop the plates? Maybe there's too many revs on start and then you have too much water on first 100 - 150 sheets?

If that's ok, and if you still have some of your old fountain solution, just drop this one and put old one in. Then you'll se if it's solution or not. I'd say that would be the rollers issue (hardness, settings, pre damp)

10. Jack liston

Jack liston Senior Member

The water form stripe May be place to start set at 5mm and go from there if you have an old plate try it .then process of elimination.good luck