Sm 102 delivery issues

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Nick201, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Nick201

Nick201 Member

Hello
    I run a 2010 sm 102 with a standard delivery. The entire delivery has been rebuilt. On stocks 25 3/4 or bigger I am constantly have problems with the sheets hanging up. We have six other similar machines that I can get to work just find. On the machine I am speaking about the paper hangs on the slow down wheels and constantly will hang up aslo it will not jog up. Any assistance on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    On smaller stocks I can get it stop doing this with fan adjustments and slow down wheels suction all though this doesn't always work

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Hi Nick, "the entire delivery has been rebuilt"...meaning what? If you're losing sheets to the sheet brake, something was surely missed. Can you expound on "rebuilt"? We're all grippers reset in the proper manner? Have all followers been examined for wear? Was there a jam up prior to the problem starting, justifying a "rebuild"? Was a competent mechanic instrumental in the "rebuild"?

3. Nick201

Nick201 Member

Delivery grippers have been rebuilt. All came bushing etc rebuilt. Brand new sheet brakes and sheet brake shaft. All were rebuilt and set by a Heidelberg mechanic who is a good mechanic. Rebuild was do to 400 million impressions being on the press

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

All I can say is something was missed. I'd suggest trying to narrow it down to the possibility that it's one gripper bar causing the loss of sheet to sheet brake. Mark each bar clearly, and during the run, see if it is one culprit bar. I'm going to venture a guess that the bars weren't removed, much less dismantled. More specifically, the taper pins in the follower levers were not removed and inspected for "dogleg", were they? A small offset in the lever pin will throw the timing off greatly. If it was simply a lack of control at the pile, I wouldn't mention this point, but if the sheet is pulling out at the sheet brake, something is seriously amiss.

5. Nick201

Nick201 Member

Yep I agree gripper bars were taken out and dismantled I watch him do one. Not sure. Delivery is being super super picky. Actually think I got the hanging up problem figured out. Now have a half dozen more to figure out. Thank u for the response.

6. Nick201

Nick201 Member

New question for u. Just for ideas. How what u setup the delivery on 25 3/4 by 38 material. As in fans left and right back and forth location, blow down tubes etc?

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

I know I'm not in a position to guide you on this, as I've 35+ years repair experience, but in that time I've never instructed on how to set up feeder or delivery. Being a mechanic, coming from a machining background, I've never actually run a press in my life. However, it does depend on the stock you're running, that much I do know. Turbotom or a like contributor may be of assistance. Do not look past my suggestions, if you're losing sheets at the sheet brake, and you hired the Heidelberg tech to remedy such situation, you'd better call him back in.

8. Nick201

Nick201 Member

Well ty u for the response s. They just bought a new 106 so hopefully I will be able to run that and stop fighting my delivery lol

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

The position of the fans, or blow tube, over the sheet brake is very critical, especially when running at max speeds. This is an adjustment that is not automatic when you punch in a sheet size into CP2000. Blowing air down directly over each individual sheet brake will get you the best control. This adjustment was something I always made a point of doing every time I changed sheet size. I also like to S T R E T C H the sheet out during delivery. By running the sheet brake at a slower speed and using a late release on the delivery cam, you can in effect stretch the sheet out fully, and in doing so have the sheet fall almost vertically onto the pile. This of course assumes that the rebuild was done correctly as Junker mentioned.

10. Nick201

Nick201 Member

Yes I agree actually have sloved that problem by running the sheet brakes slower then I normally would and stretching the sheet out. I got that idea from one of other posts on the web site. The only last issue I am having so far is getting the drive side corner in the delivery near the glass door to stay down. It will flare out. O.s states down perfect ly. It is as if the two corner fans do not blow down with the same amount of pressure. Still working with this problem. Also would u recommend running the sheet brakes parrel to the blow down tubes or move the fans directly over the sheet brakes? Would u suggest moving the fourth row of fans directly behind the sheet brakes or the 3 Rd row directly in front of them? Of course this press does not have individual fan controls for each corner. Have tried turned them up but this causes the middle of the sheet to flutter and not jog on larger sheet size. Last night was runn 22 1/4 x 31 inch at 13000 no problem. Large sheet sizes are still a issue. Will be on 23 3/4 x 35
    Monday so we will see how that goes

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  11. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Are you a Heidelberg mechanic?

12. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Yes, but not employed by Heidelberg. Those days are long past.

13. turbotom1052

Ive been retired for the last half dozen or so years, and after all of my active years, and all the different presses its hard for me to remember the features available on all the different models, and model years. I do know that certain years of Speedmasters had a tube mounted on a box sectioned framework that had small plastic adjustable blower nozzles. These nozzles were movable, and could be aimed in the direction you want them to blow. They can also be adjusted for air volume with a small plastic valve. If so equipped on your press, you can move the entire blast tube so that the individual nozzles are blowing right over the individual sheet brakes. I liked aiming these blast nozzles directly on to each sheet brake with an angle, that sorta blows the sheet not only down on the sheet brake, but also aimed towards the feeder end of the press. Ive found this to offer the most control of the tail end of the sheet, at that critical time when the delivery grippers were letting go, and when the tail of the sheet was just clearing the sheet brake or slowdown wheels. Its that fraction of a second in time, when the sheet is kinda just dangling that, delivery problems often occur. Running the delivery pile up high minimizes that "dangle" time. Also Id recommend minimum amount of blowdown air to get the dangling sheet to settle down onto the pile. A small amount of air blast out of the center blast tube is usually needed to break the sheet a bit. As far as your gear side corner fan is concerned I would recommend putting a multimeter on it and comparing its voltage to the same corner fan on the operator side of the press. Whatever the results wind up being, you need to have symmetry throughout the entire delivery. Sometimes a fan will blow, and wind up being replaced by an aftermarket fan that may run at a different RPM, or have a different blade pitch. This will make for uneven air flow. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

14. Nick201

Nick201 Member

I will try that with the blower tubes always wonder exactly how to set them. And FYI. The 102 I run has five rows of fans and five fans per row that can be shifted left or right and back and fourth. Has five blower tubes that are in a fixed position but the angel they blow at can be moved. I has seven sheet brake wheels on it and we do not use the decurler. Thank u for your responses I will try a few things next time I am on larger size stock
    And as far as getting the mechanic to test the front fans will be difficult. He is very stubborn

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  15. Nick201

Nick201 Member

New questions. So far everything is going great with my delivery. Thank u so much for ur help. But how do u get the paper to jog up when u run the pile up high?

16. turbotom1052

I guess you will have to find the right balance between your pile height and the presses ability to jog the sheets. Wedges in all 4 corners help a bit as long as you don't have heavy 4 color rich black images in the corners. I like to use the big blue plastic wedges that are about 4 inches wide and long. These big wedges tend to better distribute the weight of the printed sheets above them, and help in avoiding setoff. Id also recommend that you use the minimum about of blowdown air that you need to control the sheet once the gripper lets go. Late delivery, with slow sheet brakes, with just enough fan speed and blowdown to control the dangling sheet.