Service Tech is telling me I cannot use 901c for black only printing

Discussion in 'Ricoh Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Tcarmichael, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Tcarmichael

Tcarmichael New Member

I currently use a Rioch (Lanier) 901c and a Rioch (Lanier) LD90. The LD90 is strictly black printing and has been having issues, therefore, forcing me to use the 901c for all of my black only printing. I am beginning to have color issues (color not printing solid) with the 901c and my service tech is trying to tell me it is because the 901c is not designed for black only printing that I am using it out of specs. He says it is creating toner build-up on the drums. I am fairly new to color printing, but I do not believe what he is telling me. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you.

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

I don't know the 901, but is it possible to run a color job every 10,000 or so?
    If your workflow is so heavily bw you might save some wear and tear getting a bw machine. (If you're running tens of thousands of bw only, maybe you keep an old set of drums in for bw only?)
    I remember the old doc12 used to have some issues if there were very long runs of bw only and no color.

3. Tcarmichael

Tcarmichael New Member

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should have said that we are running color also, we just happen to be running a whole lot more B&W than color. Probably 50,000 to 1,000.

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Well, here the deal, your tech is right but not exactly. You can, and machine/print driver does not prohibit you from sending b/w job but remeber - as you print with K only, entire machine is turning, all drum cleaning blades are still pressured against the drums and only black is being lubricated with toner it's scraping, other are running dry, all bushing and and seals are still working and their life cycle is being consumed. Your tech is trying to tell you that you're wasting your machine on something you should not... When it will come the time for quality demanding color order yo had flushed it down the drain with b/w BS - this is what your tech is trying to tell you, i think. If you need a b/w machine, I can get you a 110 ppm ricoh MP1100 with reasonably low printcount on it ....