scumming leads to wash out????

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by cj komori, Apr 11, 2011.

1. cj komori

cj komori New Member

i used to run heildelbergs for the last ten years but am now on a komori 6 colour and am having water issues, am getting scuming on the right side of plate and to get rid of it by lifting the waters results in the rest of the plate washing out. have put new damp form and pan roller in units and have flushed out technotrans, setting are fine. as i start up the plate tends to wash out so have to start with the waters low and bring them up threw the run every time i start and stop. anybody no how to help?

2. HPC

HPC Senior Member

I am not familiar with Komori, but I do have a question. Is this happening on all the units?? If so, ya might have a plate problem rather than scumming issue.

3. FSA

FSA Senior Member

cj komori
    Not knowing the year of the press, but I would suggest to turn down your pre damp setting, Komori damps are touchie, if anything two clicks at the metering roller after the press heats up, if sweep increase isn't working.
    FSA

4. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Can you describe the 'scumming' more accurately? For example is it light tinting or more severe as in fully inked up non-image area?

The fact that you say it's just on one side of the press leads me to ask are you absolutely certain your nip widths on damp AND ink rollers are set to the book?

How about your ratio settings.

Perhaps posting a pic of the issue would help.

5. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

not a komori guy either but my first thought would be to see if the skew is adjustable.

6. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

No skew control on Lithrones to my knowledge.

7. KILRONE

KILRONE Member

check and adjust chiller TO 65 or 70 degrees . Cold rollers give me this problem.

8. simon700

simon700 Member

I've been printing 31 years, mostly Heidelbergs (20+years) but have also run Harris, MAN-Roland, Mitsu, and for the last 4 years Komori.
    I've noticed a lot of presses, particularly the Komori will give toning in places when the ink forms oscillate. Idle the press and see if there is any lateral movement of the ink forms (look at the ends) even 1-2 mm might cause it. usually the inside forms (hardest to see and correct) are the worst offenders.

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

if all the other suggestions fail I would be looking at the temperature of the fountain solution in the pan. Does the temp stay within a degree or 2 from one side of the press to the other? Is the water level the same on both sides? Are there any leaking pneumatics blowing anywhere on the dampening system or even anywhere on the inker?