S&T 150 toning problems

Discussion in 'Web-Presses' started by walipro1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. walipro1

walipro1 New Member

I run a few different presses, From a 6 color UV press to a 3 color S&T 150. The 150 is designed to be a quick set up, short run press. We have been having problems with # 1 unit toning. All new rollers. Stripes are good. When running slow it prints good. The second you hit run, toning starts and the longer you run the worst it gets. It's like some thing starts slipping, or some thing can't keep up with the speed. My brother has run the press for 10 or 15 years. I have run it for maybe 10 years. We both have 33 plus years experience in presses. We are dumb founded. Ant help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. beagle501

beagle501 Member

I believe you are right in thinking something can't keep up. Does the print look it has tails i.e. like an ink roller may be too slow?? If not and the whole sheet is evenly toned I would suspect a bad bearing or bushing in the water train. Also are you sure all the form rollers are the correct size? May even be in the gearbox. It does sound like the plate cylinder is driving a roller. I suspect the water train. I would like to know what you find out.
    Good luck

3. walipro1

walipro1 New Member

Yes it's across the whole sheet, worse at the gap. I agree it must be a bad bearing or some thing dragging and in the water train. I think we are going to take , or remove the water roller Assembly and inspect the whole assembly. Thank you for your input and thoughts I will let you know when we figure the problem out. The press runs great at 20 feet a minute, but it takes About an hour to do 5000 11 inch impressions.

4. walipro1

walipro1 New Member

It's a air pressure problem. First you start with a press that needs 125 PSI to run. You throw in some old weak air cylinders and air solenoids along with some air leaks here and there. You and a compressor that floats around between 80 to 120 PSI and you end up with trouble. We fixed our problem. I hope this might help some one else some day. My 150 is a simple 3 color, short run, quick set up press, but I love it. She is one sweet old girl.

5. beagle501

beagle501 Member

Thanks for the update.

6. swedeson

swedeson Member

I am curious. What is an S&T 150? What does it do?
    Thanks,
    Swedeson